My First Buckboard Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Your bacon looks amazing! And it took on some beautiful color! Would never know it's your first try at it.
What kind of slicer did you get? It looks pretty nice to me.

So are you a member of the " ; " club...or just had diverticulitus? A few of us were gonna have t shirts made lol!

Ryan
It took me way too long to figure out what the “;” Club was. Hahaha! No, I’m not in that club and and trying my best not to be. But I would love to see that Tshirt design! I’m still learning my food triggers. No way I’m ever eating an ABT as that’s certain emergency room territory for me. No more popcorn and raw veggies only in moderation. And even after the CT they’re sending me in for a colonoscopy “just for a look.” Looking forward to the prep and the irony of downing a drink called “GoLYTELY” when it should be called “GoViolentlyWithoutEnd.”

Oh, and the slicer is a Berkel HomeLine 250. It’s really nice. No regrets other than I can’t slice a full-width slab of bacon. But I don‘t have the room to store anything bigger. Small slice bacon tastes exactly like big slice bacon but the small slices fit better on a BLAT.

Thanks for the answers DRKsmoking DRKsmoking and SmokinEdge SmokinEdge . I make a lot of Canadian bacon using pop’s brine dialed in to my tastes. The loins are thicker so the injection and brine has been working great. But I might give one the dry cure treatment next round. SmokinEdge SmokinEdge I appreciate the science behind it. Thanks, as always.

It took me way too long to figure out what the “;” Club was. Hahaha! No, I’m not in that club and and trying my best not to be. But I would love to see that Tshirt design! I’m still learning my food triggers. No way I’m ever eating an ABT as that’s certain emergency room territory for me. No more popcorn and raw veggies only in moderation. And even after the CT they’re sending me in for a colonoscopy “just for a look.” Looking forward to the prep and the irony of downing a drink called “GoLYTELY” when it should be called “GoViolentlyWithoutEnd.”

Oh, and the slicer is a Berkel HomeLine 250. It’s really nice. No regrets other than I can’t slice a full-width slab of bacon. But I don‘t have the room to store anything bigger. Small slice bacon tastes exactly like big slice bacon but the small slices fit better on a BLAT.
I did see your slicer better when I enlarged the pics... I'll have to look into them. Ours still works but think it's starting to get tired!
And your other comment damn near made me empty mine!

Ryan

Reactions: Sven Svensson
I have a LEM Big Bite 10” slicer. Super nice machine, but even that will not slice a full belly. So when I want full slices, I fold the slab over into a tight “C” shape, and slice full length slices. The slicer doesn’t care how you feed it, basically cutting a small slice on top and one on bottom at the same time then cutting the fold in the rear for a whole slice.

Much neater frying experience, you could probably feel pretty safe frying dry cured bacon naked since it doesn't spit and carry on like the stuff from the store does.
Brine cured is the same for me.

DRKsmoking DRKsmoking Do you use the dry method on Back Bacon? It seems thick for that method. Does it work by giving it more time? Or do you use something like Pop’s brine?
For "C" bacon I usually do a little injection just due to the thickness.

I've had several colonoscopys, I had an issue when I was 20, 67 now.

"No way I’m ever eating an ABT as that’s certain emergency room territory for me. No more popcorn and raw veggies only in moderation."
Oh Ell no! Dig my grave and put a bed of coals over me with a whole hog!!

Thanks for the answers DRKsmoking DRKsmoking and SmokinEdge SmokinEdge . I make a lot of Canadian bacon using pop’s brine dialed in to my tastes. The loins are thicker so the injection and brine has been working great. But I might give one the dry cure treatment next round. SmokinEdge SmokinEdge I appreciate the science behind it. Thanks, as always.

Most of the loins I get are less than 2" thick so I find the dry cure soaks in well over the 14 days (or what ever the math works out to ). In the link I put here shows that I also trussed mine after the cure time before I smoked them so they were fatter looking. They came out nice and round , great on burgers or breakfast sandwiches.
Just a thought , so either way is good , just what you think works for you . I also use the brine ( pop's ) for bacon on a stick

David

Although I’ve been making belly bacon for years, this is my first time making buckboard bacon with a ton of help from you folks. I followed this formula for the dry brine. Converting all weights to grams made it super easy.

0.25% cure#1
0.75% sugar
1.5% salt

View attachment 524927
Awesome thread, i'll be following along next week making my first bacon. I need to make it as low sodium as I can, and from what I've read yours is pretty low.

Now all I have to do is get off my own butt and buy a vacuum sealer, then a slicer.

Reactions: Sven Svensson
I need to make it as low sodium as I can, and from what I've read yours is pretty low.

Now all I have to do is get off my own butt and buy a vacuum sealer, then a slicer.
Yea, The numbers you quoted will give you 1.75% total salt (1.5% from salt and 0.25% from the cure) which is near the bottom end of salt necessary to move the cure into the meat. I wouldn't go much lower than that, and the bacon really doesn't come out overly salty with these numbers. As for slicing, I don't have a slicer yet, but that doesn't stop me. A good sharp knife and some patience will give you slices almost as good as a slicer.

Reactions: Nefarious
As far as taste goes, I found it could use a little more but I’m sticking with 1.5% for now. Can always add some seasoning to it after it’s cooked. As DougE DougE mentioned, I would not go much lower, if at all for the cure. I’ve got another couple of shoulders thawing right now for my second round. I’ve got a slab of belly bacon I just cured today and will let sit for a couple weeks.

7CBC7921-22F7-4E82-9041-59557F950A1E.jpeg

2378A9FD-CEA3-46E3-B8D9-BDAA86B97BCC.jpeg

Last edited:
Great job and great post! So glad i clicked on it, there is a ton of great information!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky