My first attempt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hi there and welcome!

Looks good.  Word to the wise on chicken.  If you can keep the temp around 325F when cooking chicken WITH skin you can likely get edible to even crispy skin rather than rubbery/leathery skin :)

I look forward to see what your 2nd attempt is :)

Reactions: cane15
I shoot for 375 on birds. this is where the charcoal fired verticals really shine. pull at 165 and dont tent. definitely golden and crispy skin. pour smoke on early

At 375 reaching 165 should take about an hour? I had these at 250 and it took about 1.5.

I've "cold" smoked some poultry for 1 hour, then pulled and brought smoker up to temp.  Re-added it and it cooked in 1-1.5 hours.

I also do double smoke on poultry because it cooks so quickly.  

This approach has worked well for me but I am still tweaking things with it.  Like I need to be more disciplined in waiting for the smoker to get up to max temp before adding poultry back.  I keep thinking "I'm at a good temp it will reach max temp in like 15 minutes" and then 45-60 min later I have hit max temp and then the poultry finishes like a half hour after.  This then doesn't give me the skin I know I can normally get if I were to wait.

That is just a me problem but I figured I would give you the info in case you decide to try what I have been doing on poultry that cooks quickly but I want to get good skin and good smoke. 

I usually do bone in turkey breasts or whole ones between 9 and twelve pounds. those take two hours or so. ive done a rack of breast tenders in 20 minutes. a good probe really helps. 165 finished temp and lotsa early smoke. i wouldnt think breasts would take much more than an hour on my vertical at 375. Id be watchin real close 45 minutes into the cook and be
ready to pluck em off the grate

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky