My first attempt at Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Burly567

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 29, 2019
Grand Junction, Colorado
Here is my first attempt a doing a Brisket.

20200229_091405.jpg

Right out of the package and rinsed

20200229_093855.jpg

All powdered and primped

20200229_231650.jpg

Done resting

20200229_232139.jpg

Sliced.

Unfortunately my brisket, while tender, is dry. I think next time I won't follow Solaryellow's recipe, but wrap at 175F.

One of the problems I had was that I was using a new smoker. I had a hard time keeping the temp. set. I spent a good 1.5 Hrs trying to get it to work. I finally had to chat with Char-broil.

Another issue I had was that on the food IT setting, the smoker runs full tilt. It got up to 275F before I caught it.

It's going to take some time to figure out just how to use my new smoker. I should have smoked something a little less expensive than a brisket.

Last edited:
Yep, that brisky looks to be pretty darned dry, no denying that. Do you have a independent temperature gauge like a Inkbird or ThermoPro to check the temp of the smoker and meat being smoked? The gauges that come with most smokers are notorious for being inaccurate, it looks like you might have been a bit hotter than 275º smoker temp and 203º IT, you might want to begin probing tenderness around 195º. Next time try smoking a porkbutt, they don't break the bank and are quite forgiving in regard to temperature swings that can occur as you are learning your new smoker. RAY

Smoke brisket at 275 all the time.
That shouldn't have hurt anything.
Probe tender in thickest part of flat is done.

Hey Burly. The problem might just be the brisket you bought. Its really small. It’s hard to tell by the pictures but it looks like you might have just got a flat. I don’t see much, if any, point meat on there. Doesn’t have enough fat content to stay juicy. Make sure you get a whole packer next time.
Here’s how I do mine if it helps. I only keep it on smoke for 4-5 hours. Then i add some beef stock, additional dry rub, and butter. Then wrap with parchment paper and foil and return to smoker until up to temp. This insured that it stays moist.
I agree with sawhorseray, pork butts are less fussy if you want to play around with some cheaper cuts.

Boy briskets are hard enough to cook with experience, but your first one on a new pit had to be a real PIA. I think you did a great job!!
Al

We all had a first try at everything. Doesn't look like a total fail either so good job. If you wanted to braise slices in beef stock with a little rub it will likely be juicy and tender - ive done this.

I did flats only for a while - your looks like just a flat. I think these are a bit less forgiving than the full packer. SmokinAl SmokinAl has a tried and true method

I did flats for the smaller size - now I do the full packer and freeze and save what we dont eat right away. its great in everything - tacos, chili, mac and cheese, etc.

We all had a first try at everything. Doesn't look like a total fail either so good job. If you wanted to braise slices in beef stock with a little rub it will likely be juicy and tender - ive done this.

I did flats only for a while - your looks like just a flat. I think these are a bit less forgiving than the full packer. SmokinAl SmokinAl has a tried and true method

I did flats for the smaller size - now I do the full packer and freeze and save what we dont eat right away. its great in everything - tacos, chili, mac and cheese, etc.

How long and at what temp should I braise them??

I usually just put them in a pan of blroth and rub for 10-15 minutes at a low simmer till tender. might not be exactly braising by definition. shouldnt take too long tho.

It's a learning curve for sure. It doesnt look like it got much smoke at all. Theres no smoke ring. Kind of sucks the only way to get good at them is practice and that cost some money and even more time with a full packer. Keep at it though. We've all cooked something we weren't happy with.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky