• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

My evaluation on my new MES30

SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

biggronn

Fire Starter
Dec 3, 2011
First off. I needed to pay closer attention to the dimensions. It was a lot smaller than I visualized. I think I would have bought a MES40 instead. I did 2 chickens on it and had to stack them on 2 shelves. Wouldn't fit side by side. The other con is that it took me at least 30 minutes to clean it up. Also not much fun to have to get down on your knees to do everything. It says in the instructions to keep it flat on the floor and not to sit it on top of anything. For the life of me I don't get that. I'm going to build a cabinet to set it on. with a lip around it so it won't roll off and use the cabinet for storing smokin' stuff.

Besides that, I love it!! It has plenty of pluses. It's made very well. I love the constant temp it keeps. The digital stuff is great. The remote is cool. A real lazy mans dream. Being able to add wood chips from the outside was really a great idea. No more opening the smoker up to add chips and then waiting for it to come back to the right heat. Another good idea is the outside drip pan. Easy to get to and empty. Adjust it so that the front is a little higher than the back so that the drippings flow back to the hole. If you don't it will pool on the inside.

So far I've smoked 2 chickens and a pork butt and they came out perfect. I'm gonna do a couple of tri-tips for the super bowl.

One more thing. I don't know how it works but the soaked wood chips last a lot longer than they did in my other smoker. That's a good plus.

Summing it all up, I love it. Just make sure you understand the dimensions. If I had it to do over, I would have paid extra for the MES40.

I hope this helps and good luck.

pgsmoker64

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Apr 23, 2010
Good review Ron!  I have an analog model and don't use chips anymore thanks to Todd Johnson and the Amazin Smoker!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Top Bottom
Clicky