My BBQ escepades over the weekend

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

romy6

Original poster
Jan 15, 2015
 I have this WSM 18.5 that I have quickly fallen in love with . I have only had for a month but I have cooked almost everything I could imagine or get info on smoking . So far my favorite and most forgiving smokes have been pork ribs,butts and whole chickens .  So this weekend I decided to smoke all of them . Mainly because I am obsessed with smoking and had nothing else better to do . So Saturday I went to the local grocer and got a slab o ribs and a 6 pound butt . I have not smoked without using the water pan so I am staying with what works . Fired it up to 250 degrees and threw the Butt in the lower rack at 12 noon. Planned on a 8 hour smoke . Lathered with olive oil and my favorite spices. Took the kids to lunch and came back around 2. Got the ribs ready for smoke and threw it on the upper rack around 3 pm . Planned on a 3 hour smoke for the ribs . Mamma was expecting a 8 pm dinner . Smoked with apple and mesquite just for the record.

At 5 pm the internal temp on the butt was right at 160  so I foiled and placed back in the smoker . At 7 pm the ribs were at 180 internal and the butt was at 190. Pulled the ribs foiled/toweled and set in a cooler . At 7:45 my butt was at 200. Due to time restraints I did not set in the cooler cause we wuz hungreeeeeee!!! Had a nice crips bark and not overly smoked IMHO .

Also had one or two of these

Ribs were perfect and had a nice smoke ring

Butt was much better than my first one . Maybe because the first was boneless or I didn't spray with olive oil as I was smoking every hour

Pulled and plated

And yesterday my boy and I smoked a couple small chickens . One weighed 4 pounds and the other 5 pounds .  Oiled rubbed and set in the WSM at 240 to 250 for 3 hours . Smoked until the internal temp hit 180 and used hickory . My son loves smoking with me and has learned a few tricks or two himself . Great times shooting hoop , playing football and smoking all weekend. Can't wait for next weekend and some smoked food and super bowl escapades.  A few pics of Sundays smoke

He takes his smoking very seriously . The boy that is

Birds were succulent . Not a single piece was left . The boy and friend ate  one bird .My wife daughter and I had the other

Thanks for stopping bye :)

That is a terrific looking smoke  everything looked great

Gary

Reactions: romy6

That is a terrific looking smoke  everything looked great

Gary
Thank you gary . Coming from a master that will put a smile on
yahoo.gif

Oh -----   and the bird watcher with the spritz   Can't get better help than that

gary

One more thing, I forgot  If you have only been smoking a month   
points1.png
  You deserve them

Gary

R6, very nice looking grub, I too gave you points for such scrumptious looking food and a great looking helper !
icon_biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky