My 2nd Sous Vide

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mr_whipple

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jul 3, 2021
Virginia
Finally got around to messing with the inkbird I bought. My first cook was carrots. I ran into the recipe reading about sous vide over at serious eats, and according to the write up, the carrots were out of this world. They were pretty good, but I think the writer was little too enthusiastic. Sooo... for the next cook I had to have a steak.

Strips were on sale for $7.99/lb and the kid behind the counter was more than happy to cut me a nice 2" thick one. 1.36 lbs total.

20230315_164014.jpg

S&P and a sprig or rosemary.. sealed up tight.

20230315_164628.jpg

Somewhere in my reading someone suggested ping pong balls if you don't have a lid. I'm easily influenced so that's that. Wrapped an old towel around the pot I was using. The temp never varied from 129 the entire cook, even after I dropped the steak in. I ran it for just a little over 1.5 hours, pulled it and checked the temp with my thermapen and voila, 128 F.

20230315_170034.jpg

Into a rippin' hot CI for a serious sear.

20230315_183147.jpg

Cut shot

20230315_183449.jpg

And my terrible attempt at picture worthy plating. Either way, that steak was ridiculously tender and tasty. I normally reverse sear after letting them spend some time in the pellet pooper coming up to temp. Not as tender, but I do get a smoke component that way. I guess everything is a trade off.

20230315_184235.jpg

Now to figure out the next item to get tossed in the pool???

Thanks for looking, and Happy Friday!

Looks great, you did a good job on that steak! I also had a few steaks cut 2" thick, porterhouse, and find the sous vide is the best way to get them cooked up properly. I don't use a lid, the water moves constantly, not needed. RAY

Looks great. Root veggies at SV temps never cook tender but Lipton dehydrated veggie flakes like a soup starter puts in a good vegtable flavor but I strain them out. They're still a little grainy. Fresh garlic/onions can have a strange flavor over a long SV so powders are better and olive oil over a long SV can have an off flavor like it can when oils turn rancid from oxidizing from heat, air and light. I like chopsaw chopsaw Lipton beefy onion or beefy mushroom packet on a chuck roast at 131/48 hours. I can't find beefy mushroom anymore. This poor man's prime rib is my favorite SV cook. If you smoke meat first smoke has a magical way of passing through vac sealed bags into the water you can barely see but it smells and the vac bag isn't leaking. I usually use the same water a few times in my dedicated SV tote but not after a smoke first SV because of the smell of the water.

Looks great and your bottle of Tito's is like mine is....empty! You can go much longer on the steak to be even more tender, it will never get above the temp set on the SV.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Looks great! They work great for reheating meals as well... recently used mine for reheating a prime rib meal. Just as perfectly cooked as the first meal.

Ryan

Reactions: mr_whipple and dr k
Lipton beefy onion or beefy mushroom packet on a chuck roast at 131/48 hours. I can't find beefy mushroom anymore.
I was just at the store , but didn't look . It seems to cycle , so keep checking .
They also have a savory garlic that's good too .

Reactions: dr k and zwiller
If I recall Steve H Steve H had posted up some homemade Liptons soup mixes on here, not for sure if that was one of them

Ryan

Lipton beefy onion or beefy mushroom packet on a chuck roast at 131/48 hours. I can't find beefy mushroom anymore.
½ cup dried onion flakes
1 tbs dried parsley
1 tsp black pepper
3 tbs onion powder
2 tbs garlic powder
3 tbs beef bouillon powder
½ tsp paprika
I imagine you could add some mushroom powder for the beefy mushroom.

Great looking steak and plate!

Do a chuck roast Bearcarver Bearcarver method. He always said it was as good as prime rib....And he wasnt wrong!!!

Jim
I was just reading his step by step for smoked chuck. Looks like I have two things on the to do list.

Chicken, remains very juicy.
I have a pack of legs in the fridge. Hmmm......

Looks great. Root veggies at SV temps never cook tender but Lipton dehydrated veggie flakes like a soup starter puts in a good vegtable flavor but I strain them out. They're still a little grainy. Fresh garlic/onions can have a strange flavor over a long SV so powders are better and olive oil over a long SV can have an off flavor like it can when oils turn rancid from oxidizing from heat, air and light. I like chopsaw chopsaw Lipton beefy onion or beefy mushroom packet on a chuck roast at 131/48 hours. I can't find beefy mushroom anymore. This poor man's prime rib is my favorite SV cook. If you smoke meat first smoke has a magical way of passing through vac sealed bags into the water you can barely see but it smells and the vac bag isn't leaking. I usually use the same water a few times in my dedicated SV tote but not after a smoke first SV because of the smell of the water.
The carrots were pretty good. Recipe said to SV them at 184 and they were very tender.

Looks great and your bottle of Tito's is like mine is....empty! You can go much longer on the steak to be even more tender, it will never get above the temp set on the SV.
That stuff seems to disappear. I'm pretty sure one of my dogs has been into it. As to the time, I was looking at a chart of times/temps and went with a lower end time as it was a school night. Fortunately it was at temp, so I didn't pull it too soon. Maybe next time I'll let it ride a little longer to see the difference but that steak was tender and juicy.

Jim JLeonard JLeonard got me hooked on SV pork loin. The best I've ever had.
Interesting. Any particular flavors you do? Care to share some ideas?

Reactions: JLeonard
Great looking steak and plate!

Do a chuck roast @Bearcarver method. He always said it was as good as prime rib....And he wasnt wrong!!!

Jim
Agreed. A 36 to 48 hour bath works wonders. Followed by a weed burner torch for searing and you'll want to marry that SV!
Your steak looks perfect. Congrats,

Don

Reactions: JLeonard
JLeonard JLeonard +1 chuck in SV is a must run. From here pork loin rubbed with CSS (canadian steak seasoning).

Jim JLeonard JLeonard got me hooked on SV pork loin. The best I've ever had.
Missed his thread but Rich chopsaw chopsaw got me turned onto SV loin.

You guys wanting Lipton mixes, they're on Amazon and if you buy quantity it's actually cheaper than the store.

Reactions: dr k and JLeonard
½ cup dried onion flakes
1 tbs dried parsley
1 tsp black pepper
3 tbs onion powder
2 tbs garlic powder
3 tbs beef bouillon powder
½ tsp paprika
I imagine you could add some mushroom powder for the beefy mushroom.
I'm stealing this!

I was just reading his step by step for smoked chuck. Looks like I have two things on the to do list.

I have a pack of legs in the fridge. Hmmm......

The carrots were pretty good. Recipe said to SV them at 184 and they were very tender.

That stuff seems to disappear. I'm pretty sure one of my dogs has been into it. As to the time, I was looking at a chart of times/temps and went with a lower end time as it was a school night. Fortunately it was at temp, so I didn't pull it too soon. Maybe next time I'll let it ride a little longer to see the difference but that steak was tender and juicy.

Interesting. Any particular flavors you do? Care to share some ideas?
I hit it with some SPOG, vac seal and SV for a couple of hours. Take it out and blow torch it for a good sear. Bliss!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky