Mopping on the Big Green Egg

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

themazaman

Original poster
Jul 26, 2008
Hi everyone,

Just upgraded from a cheap offset smoker to a large big green egg.  The egg's efficiency is great and its awesome not to have to tend the fire even on long smokes.  One of the things that the egg community really preaches is leaving the meat alone during the cook (if you're lookin - you ain't cookin) and that mopping is not necessary.  That makes sense from a moisture standpoint, as the egg's thick ceramic walls retain a lot of moisture, but I'm not sure about bark formulation.  Wondering what egg users here do about mopping,  whether you think that not mopping significantly impacts the bark on things like brisket and pork butt or what and/or what you might do in lieu of mopping.

Thanks

Craig

Craig, I can't comment on the BGE but I have the BigSteelKeg. I agree with the close the lid and forget about it as the BSK takes quite a while to recover when the lid is raised. I've had it overshoot by over 100°F and then go out while cooling off due to lack of oxygen. A quick open and close is far more recoverable.

Check this PP cook of mine.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/96541/pork-butts-on-my-big-steel-keg

Also, I've recently increased my pit temp to 275°F. The last butts I did took just over 9 hours.

Hope this helps

Joe

I have a Primo and love a thick,tasty bark! I do the old Mustard trick. Rub the shoulder down with spicy brown  Mustard and and coat it thick with your rub of choice. Slap it on the egg around 275-285 and smoke it a little heavy(not too heavy) for about an hour then back the temp and smoke down. After that...No peeking until your temp gauge goes ding!

I have a Primo and love a thick,tasty bark! I do the old Mustard trick. Rub the shoulder down with spicy brown  Mustard and and coat it thick with your rub of choice. Slap it on the egg around 275-285 and smoke it a little heavy(not too heavy) for about an hour then back the temp and smoke down. After that...No peeking until your temp gauge goes ding!
That is exactly how I do it on my BGE as well..... YUMMMM-O

I just got a BGE for Christmas.  I did a couple pork butts the other day and only opened it to insert  thermometer probes.  In my opinion the bark ended up great with mops or anything else.  

The Big Green Egg is the real deal. I love that thing. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky