Monte Christo Sandwich

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You are killing it on all this good food lately. I was wanting to do some sausage and pork tenderloins today but ended up mowing grass for 8 hours and throwing some chicken on the grill for a nice 10’oclock dinner. At least I had a 12 pack of PBR to quench my thirst in this heat!

Ouch 8hrs... It only takes us about 1.5 to do ours. Nothing wrong with chicken and the sausage and tender will be good the next night. Thanks for the point and kind words Oh yeah, better stock up on those PBRs I hear there may be a shortage coming up soon.

YEAP! Everything looks awesome!
Save a sandwich for me!!!!

Thanks for the like and read Yankee, if your ever in the North East let me know.

Great looking sandwiches!
Congratulations on making the carousel!!

Appreciate it Smoke23 and the like.

Chris

Last edited:
That turkey was definitely calling your name! Great smoke and sandwich!

Mike

Thanks for the like Mike, Yeah he was sitting there all by himself. I didn't want him to end up in someones soup,

Bunch of good stuff there.. it all.looks great!
Alot of work there.

View attachment 370277

Thanks Rings for the like. It was more then I originally planned, but it turned out well and now I have my pea soup and some frozen suppers for work. Now get back to those Turkey legs.

Wow!!
Looks Fantastic, Chris!!:)
Love It !!
Like.

Bear

Thanks Bear appreciate it and the like. The turkey pales in comparison to your last one. Both my therms died that day and I had to resort to an older style that I got from either my mom or grandma. It was just overcooked a bit maybe 170*. Still tasted good.

Thanks again guys for the read and likes really appreciate them.
Chris

Reactions: Rings Я Us
I heard about the possible PBR shortage! Is everyone up north freaking out?

I think if I stocked up I would end up drinking it all too quickly haha

Great sandwich! Thanks for the inspiration, I was making Cubans while we were in So Fl using my own Ham and Pork Loin, but its ain't as easy sourcing Fresh Cuban bread in rural Missouri, think I will make some of these for dinner one night, using my camp chef griddle to toast them.

I heard about the possible PBR shortage! Is everyone up north freaking out?

I think if I stocked up I would end up drinking it all too quickly haha

We're not freaking out yet, but it's worrisome. I fully understand about stocking up, my consumption would rise considerably. If there ever is a shortage I still have Narragansett to fall back on.

Great sandwich! Thanks for the inspiration, I was making Cubans while we were in So Fl using my own Ham and Pork Loin, but its ain't as easy sourcing Fresh Cuban bread in rural Missouri, think I will make some of these for dinner one night, using my camp chef griddle to toast them.

Thanks Pete for the kind words and like, I haven't tried a Cuban yet, but living in the boonies I think I'd have a hard time finding the bread also. Is there a substitute out there?

Chris

I haven't tried a Cuban yet, but living in the boonies I think I'd have a hard time finding the bread also. Is there a substitute out there?

Not really, French Baugette or Cajun Boulette is close but it is the lard content in Cuban bread, that lets it toast up so nicely without burning. We don't do any baking in the RV (all we have is convection mirco) so can't make our own, not that I am in to baking anyway!

Here's my recipe if you manage to snag some bread:

Fresh Cuban Bread
Butter
Yellow Mustard
Pickles
Ham (I used my sliced twice smoked ham)
Pork Loin ( I used my sliced mojo injected pork loin)

Note: I don't do Salami on my Cubans, but that is a Ford vs Chevy debate in itself!

1. Sliced the bread
2. Healthy layer of butter on bottom slice
3. Spread Yellow mustard on top slice
4. On bottom bun, Layer of Double Smoked Ham
5. Layer of Mojo Pork Loin
6. 2 slices of Swiss Cheese
7. Pickles
8. Put top Bun on
9. Rub butter all over outside of sandwich
10. Wrap in Foil
11. Flatten some with your hand
12. Put on Medium High preheated grill with weight on top for 6 minutes
13. Flip and do another 6 minutes
14. Remove foil, and grill on each side until golden brown, (2 or 3 more minutes)
15. Slice into triangles
16. Enjoy

Tip #1: If you think you are using to much butter, YOU AREN'T. The bread really soaks it up and turns it into a crispy substance that can only be described as Heaven in bread form. There was not a hit of "greasy" on these sandwiches.

Notes: The twice smoked ham over powers it a touch, so if you want more of a traditional Cuban, use regular ham. The Mojo Pork Loin is absolutely perfect for a Cuban!!!

My Mojo Pork Loin is pretty simple, I cheat and use Goya brand Mojo Crillo (available at walmart), mixed with some pineapple juice, inject the loin the night before. Make sure its in a plastic bag, A lot of the injection will make its way out, and will become a marinade, pineapple and foil pan don't get along, ask me how I know..., next day apply rub (last time I did my normal pork rub, but in future I think I will just do SPOG), smoke @225 until IT is 140, rest 2 hours in cooler, cool in fridge, and slice thin. It my absolute favorite lunch meat these days.

Great thanks for the directions Pete. I travel into the Burlington area once in a while, and while the immigrant population is growing, unfortunately folks from Cuba haven't made their way up here yet(possibly to cold). I'll give my sister and SIL a gingle to see if they can make the bread(both are into baking breads). The rest of it sounds like it's something I can handle and enjoy. Again thanks. If I don't have any luck with the sisters then I'll try the French Baguette which I know I can get. I love a good sandwich and homemade soup for supper in the summer.

Chris

Here's one last pic. The ham is now finished except for the wife's pea soup.

DSC00732.JPG

Chris

DanMcG DanMcG thanks for the like. Appreciate it.

Chris

Hey Chris, I just came across this post. Definitely worth bumping to the top for others to see

Chris I see I left a Point last year but can't find my comment so
IT LOOKS FANTASTIC
Richie

Hey Chris, I just came across this post. Definitely worth bumping to the top for others to see
Chris I see I left a Point last year but can't find my comment so
IT LOOKS FANTASTIC
Richie

Thanks guys, I totally forgot about this one. Once the weather changes I'll have to give this another go.

Chris

Hey Chris,
Just to show you how good my memory is, I'll tell you what this Thread reminds me of from more than 60 years ago.
When I was little (maybe about 5 years old), my Mother told me about the guy who walked into a restaurant & ordered "Chicken Soup".
So the Waitress yelled to the Cook, "One Bowl of Chicken".
Then the man changed his mind, and said "Could I get Pea Soup instead of Chicken?"
So the Waitress yelled to the Cook, "Hold That Chicken---Make it Pea!!"

I know---You had to be there,
Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky