minion method ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

saltbranch

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
I have a side fire box pit and normally use wood. I have read about the minion charcoal method while looking at info on UDS. I tried it today in my side fire box, without much luck. Charcoal(8#s) did not last more than 6-7 hours, had a hard time getting temps to hold over 200.
I took 24 briquets got them burning and then spread over top of rest of charcoal. Ideas on what I did wrong?
Anyways I am finishing my ribs off in the oven
mad.gif

thanks

Some how I missed that 'sticky" when reading up on the Minion method. That shows using lump, wont briquets do fine too? I have a brisket to do tomorrow and will try this method again since I am out of wood.Maybe I need to go and get some lump?

Salt,
It sounds like you got it right. How many "cold" briquettes do you have down before you had the ashed over coals.

When I use this method I make sure I have a good amount coals and wood chunks down before I add the fired coals.
Also, if you can get Kingsford Competition briquettes they will burn hotter and longer.
Good luck tomorrow!

I am not that familiar with charcoal, but here is what I did.
Put 8lbs of HEB mesquite charcoal into fire box, pulled out the 24 briquets and put them into 1 of those firestarters that uses newspaper in the bottom to light. Got those going good and spread over the 8lbs. The charcoal burned pretty fast, but I had a real hard time getting the temps right and holding. I am thinking I will go buy some wood for the brisket and after I get my UDS built, learn the minion method. I hate to mess up a good brisket.
BTW for those close to HEB grocery stores, they have packers on sale for .99 a LB. Atleast in S. TX they do.

Here's my version of the Minion method I use in CG w/SFB

Fill the basket with briquettes with 4-5 chunks mixed in. I leave the front corner opposite th
e side vent open for the lit briquettes. This forces the fire to burn back against the air flow & slows the rate of burn

85855153.jpg

I have a no name chimney that is much smaller that the Weber brand. I fill it about 3/4 full & start it with the side burner on my gas grill

hpim0450s.jpg

When the charcoal in the chimney is burning good (I don't wait for them all to ash over) I dump them in the open space in the basket

hpim0422.jpg

I open the side vent wide open. When the grate temps hits about 210, I close it down to about 1/4 open & the temp will slowly rise & settle around 225-230.

Maybe my biggest problem is that I do not have basket then?

olewarthog, how many hrs do you average on that setup? Thankyou for the pics, that helps alot.

Hey, olewarthog, thanks for sharing that. Is your basket the "shaker basket?" I saw one of those at Lowe's and wondered if that would fit into my SnP as a coal basket. How long does a basket of your fuel last using this above method?

Great pics showing the Minion method in your CG. That really helps me -- love the visuals.

How long can you hold temps like that? (I realize external temp, wind etc are factors)

Great post!

Yes that is a Charbroil shaker basket. Depending upon conditions, I get 2-3 hours at 235 - 240. I could let it go longer, but I will go ahead & shake down the ash, rake the burning coals over to the MC side & reload the basket with more charcoal as soon at the temps drop below 235 to keep the temps as stable as possible.

in my side fire box smoker i use this method. it works pretty good, i use a charcoal basket so it can breath good. from what i've read and experienced 6 hours is not a bad burn time, you just keep adding a little charcoal or wood at a time when temps start to go down. the basket realy helped my smoker a lot. i usually use 90% unlit to 10% lit ratio.

Yup... basket is a must for offsets. I also use a 50-50 mix of lump and briquets. The briquets (usually roal oak) give long steady heat, and the lump kicks the temp up to 250'ish even with a big main chamber.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky