MES temperature range question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

milo

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 3, 2015
So I have a new electric MES. The temp gauge is off but it is okay I have a maverick thermometer, the smoker runs a range 15-20 degrees. My question is: when people say smoke xx meat at 225 degrees where do I want the range to be? 225-240 215-230 I smoked a butt and it took 17 hours so I am thinking I just need to add more heat. Thanks in advance!

In the case of the butt, I'd go 225°-240°, personally I go 240°-260°.
If you're shooting for 225° adjust it so that 225° is in the middle of the swing.

Reactions: milo
Hi, You will learn your smoker in time. As you have found out the temp range is rather open 20 degrees either side of the set point in not uncommon. There are 2 schools in smoking. Low and slow and hot and fast. In my experience smoking at a moderate 240 to 250 temp, will give you a very tasty butt. When I smoked at a higher, (275) I found that at a IT of 203. I still had unrendered fat in the butt. at 242 my smoker performs great and 95% of the fat is rendered. That temp produces a juicy and tasty product.
Sometimes a bit of extra time is worth it. Knowing this and that every piece of meat is different will help you to not be blind sided. I have gotten off subject a bit, knowledge is power and the best knowledge comes from experience. Smoke them and decide for yourself what you like. Jted

Reactions: milo
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky