MES 40 with AMZNPS maze issues

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

iamdmphil

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 16, 2017
Dora, AL
Afternoon everyone......been a while! Still look in just haven't posted in a while. I am still rocking my MES 40 with a AMZNPS maze but have ran into this issue several times lately. When I get into a good thin blue smoke and don't think the maze is going to give me trouble, I go back to check a bit later and all of my pellets are burning and puffy white smoke is billowing. Luckily, I catch it in time before bad smoke gets to the meat too bad. I use a foil teepee over top of the pellets so drippings don't get in them but make it tall enough so it can breathe. Any tips that I may be missing?

Reactions: JLeonard
For my current newish MES40 (about a year old) I moved my AMNPS away from the chip tube hole to the far side on the bottom deck of the smoker. I also use an aluminum drip pan on the bottom grate to catch any drippings.

Reactions: iamdmphil
Are you positive nothing is dripping on them? Even with the foil? I’d try to do a dry run with just the pellets, no food or anything to drop on them. When I had my mes30 with the maze, I ran into that issue of juices dropping on them and catching on fire. My solution with the MES 30 which didn’t have as much room, was to put the maze above the meat. The inside would still fill with enough smoke and I never noticed a difference with it above the meat. I’m sure it didn’t get as much smoke as it under but I never noticed. I also would keep my chip loader halfway out for airflow to keep them lit. Have you noticed when it goes up? Like a certain time during the cook?

Are you positive nothing is dripping on them? Even with the foil? I’d try to do a dry run with just the pellets, no food or anything to drop on them. When I had my mes30 with the maze, I ran into that issue of juices dropping on them and catching on fire. My solution with the MES 30 which didn’t have as much room, was to put the maze above the meat. The inside would still fill with enough smoke and I never noticed a difference with it above the meat. I’m sure it didn’t get as much smoke as it under but I never noticed. I also would keep my chip loader halfway out for airflow to keep them lit. Have you noticed when it goes up? Like a certain time during the cook?
yes, the foil teepee directs the drippings away and down to the drip pan itself.

Consider a mail box with dust. Mailbox allows you to check on your AMNPS, change pellet/dust flavors without opening the smoker.
ok, that's cool. I will look for the mod here in the forum....because I don't know how to do it. LOL I will learn!!!

Reactions: tallbm
ok everyone, thanks for all the input. Built a mailbox mod and set it up for a rib smoke yesterday. Lit my pellets and let them sit in the mailbox for about 10 minutes to get some good embers and closed it. The smoke would never reach the cook chamber and looked like the smoker wasn't drawing any air. Since it was a windy day I had the top vent at 50%. Am I missing something that wouldn't allow the smoker to draw in air?

Do you have your top vent wide open, is the mailbox lower then the smoker. Do you have a picture of your set up, did you blow your pellets out before you closed it

Do you have your top vent wide open, is the mailbox lower then the smoker. Do you have a picture of your set up, did you blow your pellets out before you closed it
I only had the top vent open half way due to it being windy yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_1087.jpeg
    IMG_1087.jpeg
    106.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1088.jpeg
    IMG_1088.jpeg
    183.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1089.jpeg
    IMG_1089.jpeg
    190.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1090.jpeg
    IMG_1090.jpeg
    162.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1091.jpeg
    IMG_1091.jpeg
    196.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1093.jpeg
    IMG_1093.jpeg
    224.7 KB · Views: 26
Keep the top vent open 100%

Elevate the tray . Some use nuts and long bolts . 2 or 3 inch . Some use binder clips .

Add holes to the mailbox door . 2 low and one high . You need to draw air into the mailbox .
The holes in mine are 9/16 .
1685452342299.png

Keep the top vent open 100%

Elevate the tray . Some use nuts and long bolts . 2 or 3 inch . Some use binder clips .

Add holes to the mailbox door . 2 low and one high . You need to draw air into the mailbox .
The holes in mine are 9/16 .
View attachment 666732
does the mounting holes on the bottom of the mailbox count for any vent holes?

I think chopsaw got it, definitely need some holes in your door. That and opening your vent should solve your problem.

Reactions: chopsaw
My opinion is no , or not enough . Dave is the one that came up with the hole layout in the door . It works well , and you can block one or more off if needed .
I'll make the mods and give it a whirl this next weekend. Thanks again, y'all.

Reactions: chopsaw
Do the vent , and the holes in the door . Like Jim said that may do it .
Take a look at this thread . Post 7 shows legs added to a tray .

Reactions: iamdmphil
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky