MES 40 bigger chip tray retrofit.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

1chaos52

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
Been away from these forums for far too long. Not sure why I have not been on as my passion for good BBQ still lives on, guess I just have not had the time.

Anyway, on to the main topic here.

I have an MES 40 that I have owned for about 2 years now. I love this thing for long smokes and use my amazin smoker with it most of the time. Based on some other posts, I checked out my smoker and I do have the smaller chip tray, so I called Masterbuilt and gave them my model number and they said that mine does not qualify for the retrofit. I asked if I could buy the parts and try to make it work, and she said they would not fit.

Has anyone else called them and received this same response? If so, has anyone been able to do this modification anyway? I am willing to pay for the parts if necessary.

I would love to be able to use the chip drawer for quicker smokes if I can find a way to get the parts and make the modifications. I have a big party coming up in the next couple of weeks and will be cooking for about 40, so will have all 3 of my smokers going, and would like to get this mod done before then if possible.

I don't know for sure about the chip tray mod...when I purchased my MES40 in 2011, I bought one of Todd's AMNPS's at the same time.  It does such a great job of supplying thin blue smoke in the MES, I have never used the chip loader/tray once.  Have you looked at A-Maze-N Products?  If not, his link is at the bottom of the page.  I would definitely consider that option before you start a retro-mod.

Just my 2 cents...Good luck!

Red

Last edited:
I own and use an AMNPS as well as I mentioned in my post and do love it, but would love to improve the functionality of the smoker itself in case I run out of dust or just looking for a quick smoke.

I have had some issues with the AMNPS but I am sure those are mostly me and not the product. Sometimes have an issue with it going out, and always happens in the middle of the night of course. Probably an air flow problem. Anyone done any mods or have any suggestions for that kind of issue too?

Sorry, chaos...I just re-read your first post, I obviously missed the part about the amazin smoker.  Guess I can't read well without help! 
icon_redface.gif

That is a common issue that folks have had with the AMNPS.  It is usually either air flow, or not starting with a good red-hot cherry of coals in the maze.  I learned that it often takes at least 10 minutes to get a good cherry of coals.  I will light the pellets in the end with a torch, let it burn independently for about 5 minutes, then take the torch to it again for about a minute.  Then I'll blow on the glowing coals for a couple minutes until I am positive there is a good hot cherry.

If the issue is air flow, have you tried pulling out your chip drawer to allow more air into the bottom of the smoker?  I found that, with mine, pulling the loader out about 2 inches, and pulling the tray inside the smoker out about 1 inch created the perfect air flow for most of my smokes.   

Red

Last edited:
I own and use an AMNPS as well as I mentioned in my post and do love it, but would love to improve the functionality of the smoker itself in case I run out of dust or just looking for a quick smoke.

I have had some issues with the AMNPS but I am sure those are mostly me and not the product. Sometimes have an issue with it going out, and always happens in the middle of the night of course. Probably an air flow problem. Anyone done any mods or have any suggestions for that kind of issue too?

Hi Chaos, if you do a search for MES Mailbox Mod in the search bar at the top there are several threads that might be helpful to you with the AMNPS issue. Although I haven't done this mod on my MES 40, or needed to (yet), I hear folks have had a lot of success with it. Hope this helps.

Steve

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky