MES 30 -- not much smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

debbie1105

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
Rochester area, upstate NY
Hi all.  I have an MES 30 and seem to have a lot of problems maintaining any smoke at temps under 250 or so.  I've tried soaking the chips as well as dry chips but I just don't seem to be able to get a consistent flow of smoke going.  That's all fine for jerky since I don't want that to be too smoky, but have been somewhat disappointed in things like pork shoulder and beef brisket.

Any hints or tips?  What's an AMNPS?  Will it help?

Thanks in advance,

Deb

Debbie, morning.....  The AMNPS and the MES are a match made in heaven... Control the heat with the digital controller....  Control the smoke with Todd's smoke generator AMNPS.... It don't get any better than that....  Here are some threads....  On the front page "under"  advertisers is an ad for Todd's Creations....    Dave

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/search.php?search=AMNPS

debbie1105, check your MES and see if you have the chip tray assembly with extra piece of metal that is between the heat element and the chip tray?  That extra piece of metal makes it difficult for heat to from the element to get the chips smoking especially at lower temps.  If your smoker is a model with the extra piece of metal then call Masterbuilt and ask for a free retrofit kit.

As pointed out the AWNPS is a good solution for your smoke problems.  One major benefit is that you can get smoke for hours without having to refill the chip tray.  However if you have difficulty with the AWNPS (some people do) then you need to fall back on the chip tray, so the retrofit makes sense also.

Arrow points to extra piece of metal

480px-LL-b7d40bbc_1000x500px-LL-0ebff3ec_smimg6884.jpg

Chip tray assembly with extra metal removed from the MES

3199b05a_525x700px-LL-e627ab8d_MESChipTrayPic1.jpg

Pic of chip tray assembly without extra piece of metal

cfcdb26e_ba03ce32_640x480px-LL-29fed7b8_WP_000026.jpg

Pic of Retro fit chip tray assembly without extra piece of metal and wide chip tray

752f93b2_90e13ea8_1000x500px-LL-b513f3c5_DSCN0968.jpg

87032880_1000x500px-LL-90aae4ef_DSCN0971.jpg

Actually, my MES30 is an analog model and does not have anywhere near that fancy of a chip tray.  It's just a 1 1/2 " to 2" deep tray with a cover.  It fits into the bottom rack alongside the water pan.  Sorry, can't take pics since I'm at my weekend place and not at home...

Which leads me to my next thread...possibly looking at 2nd smoker.

I like the ease of operating and not babysitting the MES40 I have and have adapted the use of a separate smoke generator, such as AMNPS for the situations where the smoker won't make the smoke at lower temps. What's the wattage of the element in yours? Mine is 1200 watts. I haven't modified my chip tray because I still use the same amount of pellets/chips and don't need the bigger tray.

I'm considering another smoker but not because of problems with the MES40 generating smoke at lower temps. 

Actually, my MES30 is an analog model and does not have anywhere near that fancy of a chip tray.  It's just a 1 1/2 " to 2" deep tray with a cover.  It fits into the bottom rack alongside the water pan.  Sorry, can't take pics since I'm at my weekend place and not at home...

Which leads me to my next thread...possibly looking at 2nd smoker.

Hi debbie1105 ...

The MES designation does refer to the Analog units , but they have a lot of differences with the non analog units, so you are getting advice that may not assist you as the bigger MES owners post a reply not knowing you have an analog unit.

Search using masterbuilt analog electric and you will get the best info .. From what you posted you may be having a drafting problem, as in not enough o2 ( oxygen ) .. If this is the case then even an AMNPS will have problems in keeping it's pellets smoldering and smoke will not be increased. Most people do not have lack of smoke at higher temps , only lower ones , so that makes me think the system is o2 starved. But I do not have an analog unit , I just remember reading about this problem and the mods.
What actual model do you have .. Does your unit have a temp control that looks like it would be on an electric fry pan ? That unit may draw o2 through the grease drain, and if blocked or tin foiled over .. That is a quick fix .. :-)

Search the form for analog mods and you will find examples where a few well placed plumbing elbows in the side and in the top has allowed for more draft in analog units and solved a few problems

Ross

Last edited:
Yes, my unit has the temp control that looks like an electric fry pan controller. 

I have about 1/2" hole in the bottom for grease collection but the drip pan goes underneath so I'm not sure how much O2 that lets in.  Then in the back is another 1/2" or so hole.  That's it for ventilation.

'I'll check the forums for mods.

Thanks!

I have the same unit and have been struggling as well.  The stock chip tray quickly inspired me to get an AMNPS, which helps.  However, I'm still struggling with keeping it lit longer than a few hours.  I first installed an aquarium pump and have since added some extra intake and exhaust holes.  I still don't have it figured out, but I think I'm making progress. That being said, I'm getting a Yoder pellet smoker as soon as I get back to the mainland in 2013.

Crank it up to get the wood smoking then back it down to the temp you want to cook at.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky