Mega Snowstorm

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Clear here on Long Island and in the mid 40's
Weather pattern shifted for us. Now no snow at all over the weekend. At the moment it is snowing lightly here. A little while ago a squall came through. Almost white out conditions for about 10 minutes.

Forgot to mention:
We had all of 1" of white stuff at my Bed-time "9 PM" last night, here on the mountain.

Bear

Not a dumb question. Amount of moisture combined with temp at ground level versus upper air temp. If the upper air temp is freezing. And temp at near ground is warmer. Then you get wet snow. If temps are the same. Then you get fluffy snow.
Thanks for the education. Heck down here in the south we get a heavy frost and the whole city shuts down...LOL. The snow you guys get is nice to look at....As long as I can stay cuddled up to a fire and drink coffee all day.
Jim

I used to live in PA, just south of Erie. We would often get lake effect snow. During the winter while in jr high, I would make some cash from shoveling the sidewalk of a few stores next to my house. When we got dumped on I thought it was terrific. I could get 2 or 3 shovelings in on a single day, made for a big pay check that week.

The best part of the first lake effect event in The Tug each year is the cub reporters who get sent up there from Syracuse tv stations. Many have never seen feet of snow, and seem scared &%÷*less. The locals? "Yep, still delivering pizzas, just have to drive a little slower", or "four feet by Sunday? Should have it cleared out by Monday".

The best part of the first lake effect event in The Tug each year is the cub reporters who get sent up there from Syracuse tv stations. Many have never seen feet of snow, and seem scared &%÷*less. The locals? "Yep, still delivering pizzas, just have to drive a little slower", or "four feet by Sunday? Should have it cleared out by Monday".
Not sure what the tug is...but I am surprised anyone from Syracuse does not know what lake effect snow is. When i was school in Oswego many times the lake effect blew right over us down to Syracuse.

Reactions: JLeonard
True story- More than 40 years ago, i worked part time as a wingman on a plow for the town.

One night, it got so bad, we honestly couldn't see anything, so we were barely moving.

Driver called into the town barn and saidcwe weren't moving until we could see.

A few hours later after a nice nap in a warm truck, we woke up.

It was just getting light, the snow was very light, and we realized we had veered off of the road about 50 yards into a frozen field.

That's the Tug Hill plateau, due east of Lake Ontario.... they average something like 25 feet of the white stuff a year. And they live for it.
I know a lot of people that go up there with snowmobiles. The snow piles alongside the road are huge sometimes!

I can't forget the one night, getting home from working at Bethlehem Steel. The normal 40 minute trip turned into 3 1/2 hours, in one lane all the way. I had to keep my window open the whole time, so I could grab & slam my wiper on the backstroke to bust the ice off. Then I had to drop back, because it seemed like a tunnel we were in, and there was a Diesel Bus in front of me, and I was breathing his fumes the whole time!!
Then on the "Trumbauersville Road", the last 4 miles, I had to follow a big Cat Grader with a Belly-Blade, to make it to my driveway. I got it going & slammed My Duster into the entrance far enough to be off the road. I couldn't open the doors, so I crawled out the window. Then I shoveled enough to ge able to open the door to close the window. It took me 3 beers just to stop shaking!!! What a night !!!
Then after that-----That was in the days where I used to shovel everything by hand, including my driveway!!!

Bear

Reactions: Brokenhandle
I trout fish on Tug Hill.

Not unusual to see snow piles in the woods, under the shade, in early June.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky