MEATER BLOCK IS A POS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

WhoaNelly

Original poster
Nov 21, 2018
I posted this on the MEATER site. It kinda says how I feel

35x35.png

Mike
1 review
US

Rated 1 out of 5 stars

Updated 24 minutes ago

Lasted 10 cooks​

Lasted 10 cooks. Not months, cooks that happened to be spread out beyond its warranty. It won’t turn on… yes I changed my batteries, yes I plugged it in . This MEATER was never left outside overnight , never exposed to any weather conditions because I only used it under my fully covered patio. The coverage is an extension of my roof so it’s part of my house. Ceiling fans and a 65” TV have lasted 10 years under my patio cover but my MEATER couldn’t survive it. The MEATER is dead, no power. Plus, when it did work, only a few of the probes would connect. I placed the block on my traeger shelf which is about 30 feet from my unobstructed modem. The only thing obstructing the MEATER from my modem is a window. Not a single brick between the modem and the Meater and it would still lose connection. This is a $300 overhyped, underperforming piece of junk. Don’t buy into it until MEATER can correct the OBVIOUS issue they are having with quality control. I would never recommend this product to you unless you are my ex wife.

I had a Meater that never worked, gave it away. Now I have a Tappecue that has never worked either. I'm not getting sucked into buying anymore of this junk. Got my first Weber kettle in 1977 and by now I've worn out a few of them. It's a miracle I didn't starve to death before all this high-tech sh!t became available. Come to think of it, my dad was pretty capable with a pair of tongs, he could spin a prime rib roast over coals and have it come out better than the ones my mama overcooked in the oven. If my Thermapen Mk-4 broke I'd buy another. I'm old and apparently too stupid to use a smartphone, hate apps. RAY

I had a Meater that never worked, gave it away. Now I have a Tappecue that has never worked either. I'm not getting sucked into buying anymore of this junk. Got my first Weber kettle in 1977 and by now I've worn out a few of them. It's a miracle I didn't starve to death before all this high-tech sh!t became available. Come to think of it, my dad was pretty capable with a pair of tongs, he could spin a prime rib roast over coals and have it come out better than the ones my mama overcooked in the oven. If my Thermapen Mk-4 broke I'd buy another. I'm old and apparently too stupid to use a smartphone, hate apps. RAY
I’m 58 and make up new cuss words when I run out of the traditional cuss words. You and I could probably hang out and get along just fine 😂

Regardless of manufacturer these all appear to have extremely high failure rates and tons of bugs. My buddy has the Temp Spike and has had good luck with it for over a year. Plenty of them fail though. I bought the Inkbird recently at 50% off. I haven't used it yet but the 3 year warranty was $8 so I'll be ok. Overall these things have a long way to go.

I've had my Meater Block for several years and the only real problem I've had with it was when it came up with WiFi turned off after a firmware upgrade and I didn't realize it. Well, I do have some problems keeping the batteries installed since the thin wooden battery compartment cover broke in half when I knocked the block off my prep table onto the concrete patio so I tape the batteries together and also tape the cover on.

I've used it with my kamado, my Weber kettle, my Santa Maria grill, my oven, my air fryer, and a whole hog rotisserie roast; if rain is threatening, I put the block in a ziplock bag.

I also have a Thermoworks signals that I use with the Bellows fan on my insulated gravity feed and the kamado, as well as without the fan for the few cooks I've managed on my new stick burner. The block doesn't work with a fan as a controller and I'm not sure the Meater will connect thru the heavier gate steel of the the stick burner.

Mike,
Sorry to hear about the Meater. I to am a big thermoworks Smoke user. I have had my for a 5-6 years. Got caught in a thunderstorm and it wigged out, opened it up, dried it with the hair drier and it is back working great. Accidentally laid it on my stove burner burned the back a bit. Works great today. Nothing beats a dedicated radio system, no APPs at all.
I did try their Smoke "Gateway" to connect mine to the home WiFi, could not get it to work, their APP, tried a few calls with their support and it would not work reliably. They refunded my money. Love the remote and I work / mow my 3 acre yard.

RG

I bought a meter+ specifically to use on my rotisserie. I’ve had it for a couple of years and it’s worked perfectly. I use it over an open fire in my Santa Maria set up. I was worried at first that the open fire would be too hot for it, but I have never had a problem with it yet. I guess I’m one of the lucky ones!
Al

Reactions: DieselTech
I bought a meter+ specifically to use on my rotisserie. I’ve had it for a couple of years and it’s worked perfectly. I use it over an open fire in my Santa Maria set up. I was worried at first that the open fire would be too hot for it, but I have never had a problem with it yet. I guess I’m one of the lucky ones!
Al
I really think it's like the Fireboard probes. Get a good 😊 one lasts forever but about a 25% failure rate. Failure usually happens fairly soon. The others last year's. One thing is certain I'd never buy one of the wireless spikes without a good extended warranty.

Reactions: DieselTech
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky