Meater + ... Got one as a gift. My review after 2 uses.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

uncle eddie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 14, 2016
Central Missouri
I read through SMF and there were quite a few negative posts about the Meater + temperature probe. I just used it for the second time. First time was for a double smoked ham and today is a pork butt. My short version review is: I like it!. I do like it better than most of my other probes...but I am sure I will continue to use my old reliable probes in addition to my Meater +.

My findings - so far...
  • When I checked the Meater + against my calibrated thermometers (my day job – calibrated laboratory thermometers)...it was within 1F of accurate. Also – to my surprise, my MES40 smoke box temp and the Meater + probe track within 1 degree of each other.
  • My MES40 has an 8F max temperature swing in 80F weather.
  • The predicted time of cook - after the stall - was spot on for the PP.
  • I really love being able to check on my smoker progress when I am 20 miles away - a very nice feature.
  • Being an engineer, I do like the graph (see below).

Attachments

• Custom Cook.jpg
    Custom Cook.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0241.jpg
    IMG_0241.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 32
Being an engineer, I do like the graph (see below).
The data is the primary reason I got a Meater+. I can plan better knowing approximate cooking time. I’ve also only used mine a few times, but I’m not that impressed with the app’s estimated cooking time. My last cook took twice as long as the original estimate, but it was only a 2-1/2 hour turkey breast. Original estimate from the app was 1-1/4 hours.

The other reason I like it is no fuss - no tangling of wires, no need for a grate probe, etc. Super easy.

The things I dislike are the thickness and insertion depth requirement, both of which make it useful only for large pieces of meat. I thought I’d be able to use it on steaks, but we prefer filets and the probe is almost all the way through the steak by the time you get it inserted to the line. I’ve gotten to where I just use an instant read probe on steaks now, as I kinda know the timing for reverse sear.

Reactions: uncle eddie
After reading many posts on it I’ve come to the conclusion you either get a good one or you don’t. I’ve held off as I don’t want frustrated. Seems like you got a good one. I also love being able to check temps from a distance. I can do that with my FireBoard as it’s cloud connected which I love.

Reactions: uncle eddie
I can do that with my FireBoard as it’s cloud connected which I love.
I really like FireBoard, but wanted a wireless probe. I have the Thermoworks Smoke, which has a wireless monitor, but no app/data, and of course, uses wired probes.

I assume FireBoard will go wireless at some point, which is when I’ll likely make the move. For now, I’m only out $80 after finding the Meater+ on sale.

Reactions: jcam222
I really like FireBoard, but wanted a wireless probe. I have the Thermoworks Smoke, which has a wireless monitor, but no app/data, and of course, uses wired probes.

I assume FireBoard will go wireless at some point, which is when I’ll likely make the move. For now, I’m only out $80 after finding the Meater+ on sale.
I've tried both the Meater + and the Meat Stick and neither has worked well for me overall. I love the idea of no wires but between the thickness of the probe (only good for large pieces of meat) and the constant disconnects, it's just not realistic for long cooks. I've read that it's an inherent problem on all wireless probes because of the thick metal shell of the pit. Until they get that figured out I think I will stick with the Fire board wired probes that came with the Yoder.

I'm moving when you do! I used the Meater+ for two years until my kids were nice enough to lose it for me. I've liked everything I've seen about the FireBoard except the price...but I'll fork it out if it goes wireless and it works as well as their wired probes.

Reactions: TripleLindy
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky