Meat prices_Where to buy?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokeywray

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 9, 2008
I'm new to smoking so I'm digging for as much info as possible. What I'd like to know is where most of you purchase your meats (bbacks, spares, butts, chickens, briskets, ect.). Do you purchase the meat in bulk or 1 ea? Are you buying from the local grocery or butchers? Last, What is the going rate for these meats per lbs.?

Thanks,
Austin - Cincinnati.

Well, that really depends on your location. Anyplace like SAMS Club all the way down to the local Mom and Pop Grocery can be the place to buy meat. Prices will vary state to state also. I have gotten butts for as little as .88 cent a lb, ribs for $1.29 a lb and chicken for .29 cents a lb.
You'll just need to shop around and find the good spots.

As flash said ..... it'll vary as to location, time of year etc. Some stores do deals on one cut of meat, other stores another.

The local stores will generally be a better cut but often a little pricier.

I tend to buy my meat from any of three stores in Iowa. One does good sausage and pork butts, the other better deals on beef. All depends on the offers and where i am going at the time.

My advice .... shop around, check the free papers for most recent ads.

As these folks have said.

What I did was research local butcher/meat marts. Talked with the butcher for awhile, let em know what you are interested in. Start talkin about 9 lb pork shoulders untrimmed, a language he understands and you will get some insight, I promise. And if not go somewhere else. I have seen some b backs with a ton of loin meat left on em that were cut by a butcher in the back of a local ma and pa grocery so ya never know. Some of these box stores also have good cuts also. Best way to know is to go out and get sum.

good luck

With regard to prices paid for select cuts of meat - I echo everything that's been said - it depends on the region you're in.

I've shopped at a range of places for my smokes and have settled on a little butcher shop right across the street. They've been in business for over 30+ years and have reasonable prices, if not better, than our top chain grocery store.

Definitely shop around and cut those coupons!

Well it all depends on what you like. I like brisket but I REFUSE to pay more than 1.39 lb for it. Last 2 I bought, this is over the past 4 weeks, were both 1.29 lb. This was grocery store, meat department pricing on individual briskets. I'm also lucky to live near farm country and can get local goat and lamb from farmers. The individual butcher shop is the way to go if you can strike up a friendship and discussion with the butcher. The price may be higher but the quality always is.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky