Maverick Et-73 on the fritz

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nickelmore

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Lockport IL
Over the weekend it seemed like the remote on my ET-73 would not update temp if I was any farther away than 25-30 feet.

I changed the batteries, same thing.

The customer service folks were real nice, told me to send it in and they will look at it and repair or replace it.

Just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues.

I have had that issue.. That's just the downside of this thermometer in my opinion.

I have a cheaper Weber as well and I get every bit of 100 ft., and what's nice about it is it beeps when it loses the signal from the base.

The et-73 gives you no indication when it has lost the signal.

And also has a notoriously shorter than advertised range. Some folks have modded the antenna. I just keep mine in a known, albeit close, operating range.

I'll be curious to see if the range is improved on the unit they send back to you, nickelmore.
biggrin.gif

Dave

I just bought one about a month ago and I am getting close to 100' with no problem but to be fair I have a lot of windows open due to the heatwave we have had for the last couple months

While the Mavericks seem to be the best around (??) They really are built cheap. My et7 does the same thing. I don't even bother with the thing about half the time. It's just a toy.

I plan on sending the unit in tommow and since I need to go to Kansas this weekend. It should be back to me next week.

If it does not work any better I will do the antenna mod that I found elswhere.

Don't get me wrong, its not that I don't enjoy standing close by the smoker, I also use it as a saftey device as well

I talked to Maverick customer service and they just said to send it in I asked them if they wanted a copy of my receipt and they said no. but it will take them 3-5 days to look at mine and decide if they are going to fix it or replace it. I hope if I send it out tommorow I will have it back in 10 days. Here is the link in case it does not fix the problem.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=571

Agreed. I think it is the feature set that makes it so popular. To my knowledge it is the ONLY one with a low temp as well as a high temp alarm and also a second probe for meat. You'd think one of the other manufacturers would take note of all the complaints and make a competing product.

Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky