Masterbult electric smoker - wood chip tray doesn't fit

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Zombie Dodge

Original poster
Jul 1, 2021
Hi, everyone:

I just purchased a Masterbuilt electric smoker, model number MB20070210. I've been assembling it this morning, and I've run into a problem. The wood chip tray doesn't appear to fit at all.

A couple of photos are attached. From the instruction manual it looks like it should slide right in, but the tray is too wide.

I can't find anything at all about this on the Masterbuilt support site. Am I doing something wrong, or is my smoker defective? (Or was I sent the wrong part?)

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1064.jpg
    IMG_1064.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1063.jpg
    IMG_1063.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 119
Try putting it straight down in not on an angle, that might work.

Try putting it straight down in not on an angle, that might work.
That’s what I’ve been trying to do. It’s too wide.

I heard back from the company and they’re going to send me a new tray. Hopefully that one works.

If I am not mistaken, that appears to be the water pan. In your photos, the wood chip tray is supposed to go where you currently have the water pan.

Reactions: JLeonard
If I am not mistaken, that appears to be the water pan. In your photos, the wood chip tray is supposed to go where you currently have the water pan.
I re-checked the manual and I have the trays where they are supposed to go.

I wonder if it may be the grille, not the chip tray, that may be defective. The chip tray is a rectangular shape but the slot where it’s supposed to slide in is a trapezoidal shape.

Give this link a try.

Just type in your smoker's model number in the search bar for user manuals.

I re-checked the manual and I have the trays where they are supposed to go.

I wonder if it may be the grille, not the chip tray, that may be defective. The chip tray is a rectangular shape but the slot where it’s supposed to slide in is a trapezoidal shape.

The water pan is supposed to sit in the "high slot" on left hand side of the grate.
The chip tray is supposed to sit in the lower slot on the right side close to the heating element.

So, the water pan does not fit in the higher slot on the left hand side of the grate?

Edit: Yes, the grate itself could be the problem. Maybe you could try "flexing" the grate to get the wood chip tray to drop in?

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with this model MES, mine is a lot older.. But it looks to me like they sent you 2 water pans instead of 1 water pan and 1 chip tray.
Gary

The pans are different shapes and sizes, though.

Something is definitely wrong, but could I still use the wood chip tray even if it is a little unbalanced? At least half of the tray is close to the heating element.

Did some thinking...kinda looks like the drip tray to a Gen 2 smoker?Though not deep enough?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky