Masterbuilt 560 gravity smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rodneylp123

Original poster
May 5, 2020
For those of you that have the Masterbuilt 560 or 1050 gravity smoker, how does the smoke flavor of the food compare to a offset stick burner?

Last edited:
I don't own a 560, but since it burns a combo of charcoal & wood, it will not be the same as just plain wood splits. However I doubt if many people will notice the difference. My WSM burns charcoal & wood, and the flavor is not as good as my Lang. But my wife & myself are really the only ones that notice the difference, guests never complain about the food no matter how we cook it.
Al
Al

Reactions: rodneylp123
I sold off my stickburner because it's too hot here in Austin during the summer but I MISS the smoke flavor!
I bought the Masterbuilt after truing a Kamado and a pellet burner (neither of which can mimic a stickburner) and by adding the max amount of hardwood to the charcoal bin and the ash catch basket, I'm almost back to stickburner flavors.
Not exactly there but 95% there and after suffering through Kamado and pellet burner hell, that's close enough considering the Masterbuilt holds exact temps all day and I'm holding cold beers in my La-Z-Boy chain under my central air vent.

Also not an owner, but there is an entire thread on it in the charcoal section. It's almost 20 pages long so I'm sure they've covered just about everything on that smoker. From what I understand, nothing matches offset flavor. That said it seems a lot of guys around here switch from offset to something simpler so they don't have to baby sit it. For someone wanting something with flavor that's easier my recommendations have been WSM + temp controller, as adding the party q to mine totally changed my perspective on it, or going with the new gravitybuilt. I honestly may end up selling the WSM for a gravity built in the near future once our gas grill starts to wear out, but right now I just can't store that many cookers in the garage lol.

Bought a 560 in January. Done 3 briskets on it since then. I've learned that a mix of hickory or mesquite chunks mixed 1/2 and 1/2 with BB Char Logs gives me the right amount of smoke that I get from my 6' offset stick burner.
I got a 1050 last week, but haven't done any long smokes on it, but I expect to have the same results as the 560

I don't own a 560, but since it burns a combo of charcoal & wood, it will not be the same as just plain wood splits. However I doubt if many people will notice the difference. My WSM burns charcoal & wood, and the flavor is not as good as my Lang. But my wife & myself are really the only ones that notice the difference, guests never complain about the food no matter how we cook it.
Al
Al
Thanks for the feed back AI. I have a friend that has a stick burner and no matter what smoker I use (pellet, weber, or drum smoker) I just can't seem to mimic the same flavor as he does with his stick burner. I also have my eye on one of the Lone Star Smokers but I'm trying to convince my wife that I really need a new smoker. I think the price of the Masterbuilt would be a better sell than the 1600 dollar Lone Star. Thanks again for the feed back. Be blessed.

I sold off my stickburner because it's too hot here in Austin during the summer but I MISS the smoke flavor!
I bought the Masterbuilt after truing a Kamado and a pellet burner (neither of which can mimic a stickburner) and by adding the max amount of hardwood to the charcoal bin and the ash catch basket, I'm almost back to stickburner flavors.
Not exactly there but 95% there and after suffering through Kamado and pellet burner hell, that's close enough considering the Masterbuilt holds exact temps all day and I'm holding cold beers in my La-Z-Boy chain under my central air vent.
That does sound better when you put it that way lol. Thanks for the tip on getting that stick burner flavor from the Masterbuilt, I'm definitely going to give that a try if I get one.
Thanks and Be Blessed

Also not an owner, but there is an entire thread on it in the charcoal section. It's almost 20 pages long so I'm sure they've covered just about everything on that smoker. From what I understand, nothing matches offset flavor. That said it seems a lot of guys around here switch from offset to something simpler so they don't have to baby sit it. For someone wanting something with flavor that's easier my recommendations have been WSM + temp controller, as adding the party q to mine totally changed my perspective on it, or going with the new gravitybuilt. I honestly may end up selling the WSM for a gravity built in the near future once our gas grill starts to wear out, but right now I just can't store that many cookers in the garage lol.
The convenience of the Masterbuilt is nice and that's what's making me lean more towards it. I will check out the other threads to see what they say and hopefully that will help weigh my decision. Thanks for the feed back. Be Blessed.

Reactions: hawtsauc3
Bought a 560 in January. Done 3 briskets on it since then. I've learned that a mix of hickory or mesquite chunks mixed 1/2 and 1/2 with BB Char Logs gives me the right amount of smoke that I get from my 6' offset stick burner.
I got a 1050 last week, but haven't done any long smokes on it, but I expect to have the same results as the 560
I'm likely going to get the 1050 myself and I noticed that it has some extra features that the 560 is missing. Do you put all your wood chunks in the charcoal stack or some chunks in the ash pan? Thanks and Be Blessed.

I'm likely going to get the 1050 myself and I noticed that it has some extra features that the 560 is missing. Do you put all your wood chunks in the charcoal stack or some chunks in the ash pan? Thanks and Be Blessed.

The grill is pretty forgiving. I've put a wood split in the center of the charcoal chute, surrounded it with charcoal and it worked great. Nice thin blue smoke all the way through the cook. I've also done 1/2 and 1/2 chunks and charcoal with success as well. If you want your food to just have a hint of smoke, a couple of chunks in the ash bin will do the trick. "course, if you just want a good seared, restaurant style steak, pure charcoal will give it to you

Has anyone had any issues with not enough smoke actually going into the pit itself? Just bought mine yesterday and seems like there’s more smoke coming from the hopper rather than the actual pit

Has anyone had any issues with not enough smoke actually going into the pit itself? Just bought mine yesterday and seems like there’s more smoke coming from the hopper rather than the actual pit
Mix in your wood chunks half and half with your charcoal in the hopper. Add more chunks in the ash catcher about every 45 minutes to an hour.

Reactions: Brett1058
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky