Masterbuilt 44inch from Sam's Club

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

coloradoderek

Original poster
Jun 5, 2017
I got this smoker and I'm not sure I'm doing it right or what, but it wont ever go past 300 degrees, with full burners going and all vents closed as much as they can be.

Also, it doesn't seem to put out much smoke.  I fill up the pan with 1 cup of chips and it smokes for a bit but stops.  Do I have to keep adding chips?  The instructions aren't very clear.

Also, do I need to soak them in water or does it matter?  The chips turn black and appear to be used up but they are still hard and would burn if you put flame to them.  

I have attached some pictures so you can see the setup.  It is at 250 in the pictures because I have it turned down to lowish and have the vents open (getting ready to do wings) All the pictures are while it was on and had chips in it.  see how there is no smoke?  for like 10-15 mins when you first turn it on with fresh chips it KIND OF smokes. but then nothing and the smell even goes away.  especially when I turned down the burners.  do they always have to be on high and if so, how then do i get the heat down to 250 or lower, because even with all the vents open, on high, it just stayed at 300.  this smoker seems to really like 300 LOL.

There is water in the water pan also.  maybe half a inch to an inch full.

I'm just concerned about the lack of smoke and the fact it wont go higher than 300!

what am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

I recently purchased the same smoker, and I'll share what limited knowledge I can.

As far as the smoke amount, the chip tray almost maxed out with a combo of chips & chunks smoked very good for me between 200-250 degrees, longer than the recommended 1 cup full.  Others have modified their wood chip / chunk set-ups so additional fuel could be added than the original tray will allow.

The lower temp issue could possibly be a poor regulator or fuel control unit (part the regulator is connected to).  I had temperature issues with mine after first two uses, burn-in and first cook.  I added a direct connect to a propane stub-out from my house to supply fuel, this greatly improved over the original fuel supply, still not as high temps as I would like.  I contacted Masterbuilt customer service and after going over their checklist, the sent me a new regulator & fuel control unit.  The new equipment hasn't been added yet, just got it yesterday. 

Good luck going forward.

I have this smoker and have little visible smoke, but I can smell it, if that makes sense. My first racks of ribs had good smoke flavor too. I'm using it for the 2nd time today and replaced the factory wood pan with a 9x9 cake pan using a combination of chips and chunks. It fit right on the factory bracket very nicely.

My Masterbuilt smoker (MES40)  only gets to 275F.  As for the chips - I had to add them every 20 to 30 minutes.  Soaking makes little or no difference in my opinion.  I did used to put half soaked and half dry in the chip tube thinking the smoke might last longer and be more even...but I only use dry chips now if I use chips at all.  I mostly use my AMNPS now and set it and forget it.  Amazon link follows:

Thin blue smoke is what you are after...even this picture below (a picture I grabbed from the internet) is just fine.  A little more is OK too.

I have this smoker and have little visible smoke, but I can smell it, if that makes sense. My first racks of ribs had good smoke flavor too. I'm using it for the 2nd time today and replaced the factory wood pan with a 9x9 cake pan using a combination of chips and chunks. It fit right on the factory bracket very nicely.
OK, so an update: in another thread on this smoker, someone mentioned that they moved the water pan to the lowest rack in the upper part. I did this and almost immediately got much better smoke. The smoker also runs much hotter though so I had to shut one burner off. I have 4 racks of baby backs on today, then chicken will go on later. I like my ribs at about 250 using the 3-2-1 method. Big family get-together today. Happy 4th!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky