Masterbuilt 2 door no smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ron22

Original poster
Jul 30, 2014
Minnesota
I tried my first smoke on my new Masterbuilt 2 door propane. Had an electric MES 30 before.
When I seasoned it I had problems with flare ups so I took so advise on here and blocked the holes in the chip pan with aluminum foil.
I put a few hickory wood chunks not real large but bigger then chips.
I got very little visible or even smell of smoke. I had it on for 7 hours at between 225-250. There is still chunks left. They are black with some white ash on them.
Top vent open, no water in pan.
Take the foil off pan or try cast iron pan?

Maybe a picture would help with the set up but it sounds like there is not enough heat to smolder the wood chunks. Have you tried chips? I've been using a combination of both, as the ash from the chips help the chunks to get going.

Reactions: trillo15
I have the same smoker.
Definitely replace the chip pan with an 8" or 10" cast iron skillet.
I use chunks exclusively and have not had an issue with getting smoke.
If you are going to try low temps you will need a needle valve setup.
Let me know as much info as you can and I will try to help.
I have been using mine for about a year now and am quite satisfied with its performance.
I have made several mods to mine for better performance.

r2

I am a newbie with MES 30 and having no problem with smoke.  Using Weber hickory wood chips and top vent nearly closed.  You might try starting at highest temp (275) to get the chips burning good and then adjust temp down to desired cooking temp.

Update: Eight (8) hours into my first smoke experience with MES 30 and have tried everything, but not satisfied with amount of smoke and hate the continuous fooling with chips, so I have decided, apparently like the majority of others on here, to bite the bullet and buy the A-MAZ-N box which burns pellets for smoke.  Sad that Masterbilt sells a product that does not work properly for its intended purpose!

Maybe a picture would help with the set up but it sounds like there is not enough heat to smolder the wood chunks. Have you tried chips? I've been using a combination of both, as the ash from the chips help the chunks to get going.
Pan with the holes blocked with aluminum foil
Next 2 pictures of what the chunks looked like after about 7 hours.
When I first started the smoker it was at around 280 and I kept turning it down little by little until I got to 250. It kind of looks like the chunks started to smolder then went out at a lower temperature

I just bought a similar unit. I was having great smoke during seasoning, but my first real smoke today I had a few issues. I'm using a cast iron pan and upside down grill wok. The setup works great at higher temps but hard to get smoke at lower temps. Look for my thread in a while, I'm going to start a new one soon. Maybe there will be some tips we can both use once the gurus shine around the thread.

When I first started the smoker it was at around 280 and I kept turning it down little by little until I got to 250. It kind of looks like the chunks started to smolder then went out at a lower temperature
Was this using a good thermometer, or the one on the door? I found out today that the one on my door is junk. First time using it. My Maverick 733 was reading 244 and the door was reading like 175. An almost 70 degree difference is unacceptable.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky