Mashed Potatoes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oh man... We're chilling on the carbs and taters are a rare treat. A few hacks I've picked up. One was said already, horseradish. Boosts the earthy tater flavor. It works better than you think. I also like a little cheese and gouda is my go to for mashed. Just enough to add a little oomph but you cannot tell cheese was added. I prefer white over black pepper in my spuds with bonus points for looking better. From here, I will share the common pro hacks I got from a cousin and friend both trained pro chefs. Butter (but WAY more than you think) Like stick per pound, yep. Then from here, egg (which needs to be tempered).

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Lots of great recipe ideas here that I'll be borrowing. The horseradish really caught my eye...

Reactions: JLeonard
There's a difference between red and white potatoes. White make better mashed. Another trick is add some Dukes mayonnaise to the mashed potatoes. My favorite potato is Yukon Gold.

Most of the time just because it is easier I'll get the biggest russets I can find. I'm heavy on the butter, and add 1/2 n 1/2 as needed. I used to mash by hand but the older I got my taste changed. Now I'm a mixer guy and beat the snot out of them.

But, the absolute best are made with smaller reds. My holiday taters are always worth the extra trouble so I peel them little boogers as long as I can stand at the counter doing it. I whip them a little less because they can get a little 'starchy' tasting. Which is kinda great, but a the same time, a little odd.

I probably do 3 lb averages except at the holidays. So 3lbs gets a stick of butter and probably around a cup of cow juice. 5lb bags at the holidays get 2 - 2.5 sticks of butter. Yeah, I know.....

Always salt the water heavily. Like way more than you would think heavily, and I cook them slow, simmer slow.

Here is mine.

Reds, golds or half and half of each. Hard boiled whole skin on until you can easily stick a fork in them. Put them in a large steel bowl and go to town on them with a heavy duty masher.

masher.jpg

While the taters are boiling up cook up 4 or 5 strips of bacon to a very crispy finish and place between paper towels. When you are done mashing the taters crumble the bacon into bits in the bowl.

Then add real butter. I prefer Irish butter (Kerrygold), plenty of garlic powder or garlic oil, sour cream and S&P to taste.

Optional but a nice addition is finely chopped green onions and/or parsley.

This is funny but I was thinking about making this earlier but I didn't have enough potatoes on hand to make it.

This has been my go-to for a while now. I give credit to the Pioneer Woman. I do not use a mixer. Something about doing that releases the starch and changes the consistancy. Yea, my arm hurts after making these. I also add regular salt on top of the seasoned salt. It's a good base for adding other ingredients. I want to try adding horseradish that has been mentioned in this post.
5 pounds Russet Or Yukon Gold Potatoes
3/4 cups Butter
1 package (8 Oz.) Cream Cheese, Softened
1/2 cup (to 3/4 Cups) Half-and-Half
1/2 teaspoon (to 1 Teaspoon) Lawry's Seasoned Salt
1/2 teaspoon (to 1 Teaspoon) Black Pepper

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky