Marinade standard

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buzzy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 11, 2007
Cumberland Co. PA
I was thinking is there a standard amount of marinade to be used. Like a cup of marinade for every lb. meat or just enough to coat. Then let time in it make the difference. Just a thought. Thanks for replies

Just enough marinade to coat the meat plus a little. Seal in a zip lock bag and leave in the fridge from a couple hours to overnite.

I just make sure I have enough to submerse the meat during the refrigeration process but thats probably wrong so Im gonna watch this thread to see what the Gurus have to say.

Like kruzier and Doug, I just make sure the meat is covered and generally rotate. (like mix around, flip over)
I think a lot depends on your container. So plastic bags are an advantage to marinading with lesser amounts of waste.

I usually cover the meat, then put it in either a vacuum canister, or a vacuum bag & vacuum the air out.
Then into the fridge.
Al

I have a batch of Teriyaki Jerky in the fridge right now that will be processed (dehydrator) today.
I used 3/4 of a cup of Kiikkoman Teriyaki Marinade and Sauce as the base, then added the powdered and ground seasonings.
1.88 pounds of Beef top round roast, hand sliced (cordless, 10", cimiter knife).
It's been marinading overnight in a 1 gallon plastic bag with the air removed, and massaged periodically.

So there is an example of a lesser amount of marinade being used for 1.88 pounds of meat.
(Probably 1.5 pounds after the dogs trimmings.... ;) )

The recipe called for 1/2 cup of the marinade per pound of meat. 1 Gallon Ziploc baggies can be your friend.

Something to note here. I made a double batch of Bear's marinade for Salmon once. Danged if the stuff I was saving didn't go bad on me. :( So I make it as needed now.
Fresh marinade for each batch of meat being done. ;)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky