Maple Sugar Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
A friend gave me some maple sugar. I always wanted to try making bacon with it.

I started with a slab of what Canadians call side pork and Americans call pork belly. I cut the skin off.

I weighed the pork after removing the skin and measured the thickest part.

I used a meat injector to inject 20 ml of maple syrup per kilogram of pork. That works out to 2 tsp per pound. It is easier to inject the maple syrup from the side in a slab of side pork.

I made up a curing rub. For each kilogram of pork use:

• 2.3 ml (3 grams) of Prague Powder #1
  • 25 ml (17 grams) of maple sugar
  • 15 ml (19.2 grams) kosher salt
If you are an American and not in step with the rest of the world, that is, for each pound of pork :

• 1/5 tsp (0.04 oz) of Prague Powder #1
  • 2 tsp (0.24 oz) of maple sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp (0.3 oz) kosher salt
I calculated the amount of each ingredient needed and mixed them together.

I put the slab of bacon on a plate so that any rub that falls off the meat is held on the plate. I rubbed the curing mix into the surface of the pork. I put the pork in a vacuum sealer bag.

I scraped any rub that fell onto the plate into the bag. I sealed the bag but didn't suck the air out.

The pork was 1 1/4 inch thick. I cure for 4 days per inch plus 2 days (1 1/4 times 4 plus 2) 7 days.

I turned and massaged the pork in the bag every day or so.

I took the pork out of the bags and soaked it in cold water for an hour, changing the water once.

I put the pork on a rack and pat it dry with a paper towel. I put the rack in the fridge, uncovered, overnight to get the surface of the meat very dry and tacky.

I preheated my smoker to 180 F and smoked the bacon to an internal temperature of 130 F. I let it cool and then put it in the fridge for 2 days to let the smoke even out.

I sliced the bacon with my rotary slicer.

Of course I fried some up!

The Verdict

This was a really good bacon. It is not a lot different than regular bacon but there is a great smooth sweetness that is more complex than the bacon made with brown sugar. You won’t scream MAPLE but you will like the mellow pleasant notes.

Disco

Looks fantastic Disco, cant wait to attempt some bacon. I will definitely save this post for when I do. Big LIke

If you are an American and not in step with the rest of the world, that is, for each pound of pork :

All right, Mr. Smarty Pants, some of us are bilingual. We can swing both ways, once we discover you actually measure in Milliliters instead of Teaspoons. LOL!
I got a pound of Maple Sugar from Vermont and use it in some of my dabbling.
Har!

(My Disco Bacon is in it's first round of Smoking today. ;):rolleyes:o_O How you like them apples? Tain't Back, tain't Canadian, it's Disco Bacon!) :emoji_laughing:

OK. I admit I'm wrong about Americans! However, Vermont maple sugar? Obviously, Canadian is superior. Just saying!

As for Disco Bacon, I am truly honoured! However, please don't hang it from the ceiling with a light shining on it as you dance to old music under it!

Reactions: SonnyE
Looks fantastic Disco, cant wait to attempt some bacon. I will definitely save this post for when I do. Big LIke
Thanks. However, you will find that there is a risk to making bacon. It is highly addictive. You might not be able to stop. Just saying.

Reactions: dcecil
And....
I'll have you know, I have a slab of side bacon (Pork Belly, Sow Belly) in my freezer waiting for me to decide to cure it.
What better than to make some of Disco's Maple Side Bacon with it? I Love Bacon, and I love Maple Surple!
I even have the organic Maple Surple on hand for my itchy injector fingers.
All I'm lacking is the ml measuring spoons. Oh Darn!
I'll have to make do with the Kings Thumb and inferior American Maple Sugar.
Probably not as good, but I'll have to try harder. LOL!
It HAS to be better than Farmer John or Hormel bacon.

Besides, When my Disco Back Bacon is done very soon, I need a new Bacon Quest.

My Bacon Makin Chamber
438232946_2a95ab73da.jpg

Last edited:
And....
I'll have you know, I have a slab of side bacon (Pork Belly, Sow Belly) in my freezer waiting for me to decide to cure it.
What better than to make some of Disco's Maple Side Bacon with it? I Love Bacon, and I love Maple Surple!
I even have the organic Maple Surple on hand for my itchy injector fingers.
All I'm lacking is the ml measuring spoons. Oh Darn!
I'll have to make do with the Kings Thumb and inferior American Maple Sugar.
Probably not as good, but I'll have to try harder. LOL!
It HAS to be better than Farmer John or Hormel bacon.

Besides, When my Disco Back Bacon is done very soon, I need a new Bacon Quest.

My Bacon Makin Chamber
438232946_2a95ab73da.jpg

Har! That won't be a problem. So much bacon, so little time!

Reactions: SonnyE
That bacon looks mighty good. Nicely job making it and explaining how to make Disco.

OK. I admit I'm wrong about Americans! However, Vermont maple sugar? Obviously, Canadian is superior. Just saying!

Them's fighting words in my state. The Gauntlet has been dropped. :)

Point for sure
or
Point a coup sur
Chris

looks great, cant beat maple syrup, I make my own every year,

Wow. That is a lot of work but I bet it is worth it! Thanks for the kind words.

That bacon looks mighty good. Nicely job making it and explaining how to make Disco.

Them's fighting words in my state. The Gauntlet has been dropped. :)

Point for sure
or
Point a coup sur
Chris

Har! OK, we're on. We'll meet halfway and I'll use Canadian Maple Syrup and you us Vermont and we'll have a cook off! Merci por le point!

That looks really good Disco.
I'm not a big fan of maple syrup on anything but waffles. But if the maple is not predominant in your bacon, then it sounds like a great idea.
I'm afraid I have to admit I'm Old School and dont own any metric spoons--teaspoon all the way.
POINT
Gary

After I made bacon for the first time, we have trouble going back to commercial, even if it's from the butcher's from our own pigs. I love using maple sugar. Yours looks delicious.

That looks really good Disco.
I'm not a big fan of maple syrup on anything but waffles. But if the maple is not predominant in your bacon, then it sounds like a great idea.
I'm afraid I have to admit I'm Old School and dont own any metric spoons--teaspoon all the way.
POINT
Gary

Well, I can tell there is maple if I think about it but mostly, it is just a smoother sweet than brown sugar. Definitely not like what they call "maple" in commercial bacon.

We will keep trying to bring you into the metric world!

Thanks for the point!

After I made bacon for the first time, we have trouble going back to commercial, even if it's from the butcher's from our own pigs. I love using maple sugar. Yours looks delicious.

Well, I used to get some decent bacon from butchers in southern Alberta but there is no way it can measure up to my own. That makes sense though. I have tweaked mine to my tastes.

So, thanks for the kind words, I totally agree home made is better!

However, I don't have my own pigs and I am very jealous!

Reactions: Miss Piggy
Sure! It should turn out fine! I usually use brown sugar. A friend just gave me the maple sugar and it had to be tried!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky