Made some pickles...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

billm75

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 6, 2010
I wish I had pics to share, but alas, I don't yet. I can take some and post later though if anyone wants me to. Frankly, they look like pickles. LOL

Anyhow, I decided I wanted to make my own pickles, kosher dill style spears to be exact. And since I didn't want to have 50 jars of these things for my first batch, I scaled down my recipe to do 1 jar's worth for sampling purposes.

Basically, I cut the cukes into quarters, making some nice sized spears and stuffed them in a jar.

On the stove, I combined cider vinegar and pickling salt until the salt was dissolved. (exact measurements not handy right now)

I added whole mustard seed and a few jalapeno slices to my jar of cukes, and poured the liquid (after it cooled to room temp) into the jar, filling it within 1/2" of the lid and sealed it.

Into the fridge they went for 2 weeks, and I finally tried one out this past weekend. Crunchy! REAL Crunchy, better than any storebought pickles I've ever had. The only problem was salt content, I think I used a bit too much pickling salt. They've got a real good flavor, but that salty aftertaste was a bit much for me.

I poured out about 1/3 of the juice and replaced it with fresh water, hoping to dilute the salt just a bit.

In all, I'll definitely be doing these again. Just an amazing crunch to the pickle and a great dill-like flavor, without dill being added.

Yeah, Bill - problem is, with out the Q-View...
icon_smile.gif

Throw us some pictures, brother! I love pickles.
Tracey

Yes it does sound good BUT I would really like to see it too. So work on the Qviewbecause you know if theses no Qview it didn't happen.

I think my daughter would like these. She always hated pickles until she had one at the Renaissance Festival this year. Now she loves them... But she won't try any of my pickled eggs! Go figure.

Jon.

Don't mean to Hi-jack, but Ren Fair pickles are the best! My fiance's brother always gets a kick outta the pickle man..as he always picks fights with the crowd!

I'll get some pics up here soon. I've always been bad about the camera work, I get so involved in what I'm doing, I forget all about documenting it.

Can't tell you how many recipes I've forgotten because I didn't write down what I was doing.

OH and for the cukes, I just bought some pickling cucumbers at the grocery store, I think it was like 4 to a package for $2 or something. It's best to use young ones so the seeds aren't fully developed.

I went fishin the other day and you should've seen that large-mouth I caught. If it wasn't 15 pounds it wasn't 5. For here in Ohio, 8 pounders are great. That thing fought me for I know 30 minutes and left the water I know 30 times. He got me wrapped around a stump or log or something so just had to play with it till I worked him loose. The puzzling thing is I was using my light tackle for crappie. I only had like 3 pound test line on my bait caster.
Sorry I didn't get any pics but let me tell ya, it was a monster and it was good.

--ray--
(0||||0)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky