München Weißwurst

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
To say I love German sausage is an understatement. The only thing I love more is Led Zeppelin, but not by much.

To date I have not found any place in the US that gets the true flavor profile of weißwurst correct. Below is my take on the Bavarian weißwurst.

For the recipe I followed my standard sausage percentage profile of 60 / 40 lean to fat ratio.
- 6.5 lbs Duroc pork tenderloin
- 2.5 lbs Iberrico fat back
- 10% Ice water
- 2% Cutter phosphate
- 2% Kosher salt
- .5% White pepper
- .25% Mace
- .25% Ground mustard seed
- .15% Chives
- 1 Bunch of parsley
- 2 Lemons zest
- 32 mm hog casings

I started of with chopping up the pork and fat... The Iberrico fat came White Oak Pastures in Bluffton, GA. (Great customer service and easy delivery)

I threw the salt and seasonings into my spice grinder and ground them into a fine powder and mixed it with the fat and meat. Once mixed I threw the entire bowl into the freezer for 3 hours until the thermometer read 30 degrees fahrenheit.

View attachment 679267
View attachment 679268
View attachment 679271

Once the meat and fat hit 30 degrees, I ground the blend on the 4.5 mm plate.

View attachment 679273

I then put the mixture back into the freezer until mixture was back at 30 degrees fahrenheit and ground it through 3 mm plate.

View attachment 679274

After grinding through the 3 mm plate, I threw it back into the freezer until mixture was at 30 degrees fahrenheit. Once it hit my target temperature I ran the ground meat and fat through my food processor where I added the lemon zest, chives, parsley, cutter phosphate, and ice water-- transforming the mixture into a meat paste.

View attachment 679275

At this point I stuffed the meat paste into the hog casings.

View attachment 679276
View attachment 679277

After stuffing it was getting late so I held off on poaching until the next day. In hindsight, I should have covered the sausage to prevent the skins from drying out and taking on a darker color... But it was late, and I was tired.

The next day I poached the sausages at 176 degrees for 30 minutes. In hindsight I would have done this in several smaller batches.

View attachment 679279

After 30 minutes, I pulled the sausage from the hot water and dropped them into ice water.

View attachment 679280

At this point the sausages were fully cooked and had firmed up significantly.

I recooked two for plating with a sweet and spicy Bavarian mustard.

View attachment 679281

The texture and flavor of the sausages were incredible. I ate them the traditional way of removing the skin.

View attachment 679282

As you can see they kept their shape and texture perfectly.

View attachment 679283

View attachment 679284

Besides leaving them uncovered overnight and not poaching in smaller batches, they turned out absolutely awesome. Had I done those two steps they would been more white.... At this point I'm just splitting hairs about aesthetics...

I highly recommend anyone with a love of German sausage to try out this weißwurst recipe.

Absolutely outstanding. I will be doing this recipe again.

-Brad
Looks great.
I used to do the same with the food processer but the one I had was a cheap Black & Decker one. It did not take long for the motor to over heat and stop working. Do you add any ice to the food processor to keep the heat down?

Looks great.
I used to do the same with the food processer but the one I had was a cheap Black & Decker one. It did not take long for the motor to over heat and stop working. Do you add any ice to the food processor to keep the heat down?
Hi KB, I added 32 degree water at 10% of the total weight of fat and meat.... But that was more to keep the meat temp down, add moisture, and assist in binding the sausage....

Brad

Wow. You nailed it. Kudo's!
I would love to get my hands on some teewurst and mettwurst!
I love many "wursts" but have limited my production to bratwurst.

Wow. You nailed it. Kudo's!
I would love to get my hands on some teewurst and mettwurst!
I love many "wursts" but have limited my production to bratwurst.
Thanks buddy. Those are all on my sausage targeting package. I'll post when finished

Sausage looking awesome! Exelent write up as well and a bonus of a recipe .who could ask for more? Thank you for sharing with us all. My next project is boudin since I took out my second last package out of the freezer. As a bonus I have champion juicer to imulsify the meat. Works a treat. Thanks again.

Sausage looking awesome! Exelent write up as well and a bonus of a recipe .who could ask for more? Thank you for sharing with us all. My next project is boudin since I took out my second last package out of the freezer. As a bonus I have champion juicer to imulsify the meat. Works a treat. Thanks again.
No problem man, please post your boudin, I absolutely love it... I was thinking of trying a boudin recipe with couscous or oatmeal.... Not sure if it will work, but I like trying weird stuff.

No problem man, please post your boudin, I absolutely love it... I was thinking of trying a boudin recipe with couscous or oatmeal.... Not sure if it will work, but I like trying weird stuff.
Scrapple is basically the same as boudin, but not as spicey and made with cornmeal (higher ratio) instead of rice...

Reactions: zwiller
MMM.....Boudin! I will be making a batch soon as well. I have a bunch of skin from the hams and shoulder primal I bought for making salami and salumi. I will be boiling down the bones and trim tomorrow for the stock....

FYI, check out my posted recipe for authentic SW Louisiana boudin....
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/boudin-time-step-by-step-and-pics-recipe-added.273245/
Thanks Indaswmp. After trying other recipe's I settled on yours. It beats all hands down. Made it 4 times already and still can't get enough. Thank you !

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky