Lt. Smoker needs help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ltsmoker

Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
Louisiana
I have always loved to grill things. On Fathers day of this year, my wife bought me a gas smoker. I work a rotating shift and have smoked something (mostly ribs) on it every time I get a day off. I really enjoy doing this. The smoker came from Cabala's and is a verticle drum type gas smoker. The first several times I used it was fine. But for the past several times I used it, my wife and I both get sick after eating foods from it. I just can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I clean it before every use. I have used different kinds of woods but I just can't figure our what is causing it. We both end up with stomach problems. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong or something to check on it. I always use fresh meat, I have even boiled the meat before cooking it and still get the same results. A friend of mine has a electric smoker and he told me I was possibly putting too much wood in it. Is this possible. Some one please help.

Lt. Smoker
[email protected]

Jeez... right off the top of my head..what does the smoke look like during the process? White and billowing...heavy smoke?

My gut says...ooops no pun intended..yer "tarring" them...creosote. Smoke MUST be kept Thin and Blue!

Also, stop into the Roll Call forum and say howdee to the nice folk here... let us know your smoker type, etc. I guess we got the experience level.. heh! Stick around and you'll be a pro in no time!

Could be the rubs also. One of my pork rubs had some cayenne pepper in it (a little too much) and caused some intestinal issues. We cut it and haven't had any problems since. I think Rich could be spot on with the smoke though. Creosote can make you pretty green.

I'll go long with rich on checkin yer smoke, ifin it be puffin like an ol steamer, yall need ta throttler back a bit, yer smoke should just be able ta be seen.

Another thought, how long from the time ya put em on the smoker till they get past 140*? (might be sometin yall wanna check) Yall wanna get through that temp in a short a time as ya can, cause that be when the nasty little germs start a grown. Besure ta start out with yer smoker at cookin temps when yall put the meat on. Also, are ya goin by the thermometer that came with the unit er a digital one? Many of the factory units can be off quite a bit, I'd get a digital unit fer checkin cooker temps at grate level, yall can put the probe through a tater or a block a wood ta hold it in the air.

It could be sumtin in the rub, but, ifin it be the same rub yall been usin from the start is doubtfull.

So on yer next run, I'd watch the smoke real carefull an besure ta get through 140* as soon as ya can, do that with the preheated smoker. Also, I do ribs at 250*, within 3 hours I'm at about the 160 plus mark an foil. Hope it heps some.

When I first started using my smoker, it always had a pleasant odor coming from it the next day. Now it smells very strong. The only wood I have ever used in it was Mesquite, Hickory and Pecan. My friend told me I put too much wood in my smoker, is that possible. Also, what should the smoke look like when you are smoking something? I am new at this but really like doing it.

Ltsmoker, I believe the folks have it nailed down with the smoke. When smoking the smoke should be barely visible, just light blue wisps of smoke coming from the vent. Look aroud the forum at some of the pics of TBS that folks have posted. Also in my case, I use cherry wood to smoke with because it is mild. If I use hickory or mesquite my stomach bothers me. Pecan is a milder smoke from what I hear on the forum. If you have any pics of your smoker in action post a pic of the smoke, that could help us figure out your problem. Steve

Sounds like you're getting some real good answers. On the other hand, every time I smoke something, I too have stomach problems. I guess next time i just won't try and eat the whole thing at once.
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky