Lots Of Fresh Eggs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
How did this go from too many eggs to they don't lay?
Spring summer and early fall is prime laying season in MN. After that the reduced daylight and cooler temps really shut down the ladies.

Not so fast... Just install AC in the chicken coup ... A little window shaker should work... :emoji_wink:
AC 24/7 for six months, with 220 going to the pool 12 hours a day. Folks move here and have no idea what it takes, I'll just have to keep buying my eggs. RAY

Last edited:
Reactions: Retired Spook
I get more now than I did in the summer.

What happens in cold weather like here in NY? What do you do when temps are in the 20-30 deg? have a heated coup?

All I know is that there is no corporation-farm-egg anywhere in America that is worth what they are charging for them - it is sickening.

This is what a GOOD fresh egg looks like in a frying pan - nice firm dark-yellow yolk sitting proud on top of a thick white that does not run across the pan like urine - and the taste difference is night and day. The guy that was raising these here where I live now, died. Not even the highest priced BS eggs in Whole Paycheck come close to his eggs:

A FRESH EGG.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: pc farmer
Our local egg suppliers have gone into winter mode The girls aren't laying much.
Local grocery store offers area raised farm eggs for $$$
They also have an organic line for $$ Used the organic line for a batch of breakfast brats I'm making for friends and to bring south for the soon to be friends at the Florida gathering

Yeah, eggs are getting kind of pricy, and I eats lots of 'em! Can yardbirds take heat? I think of getting a few, just hoping they get big enough to lay before Bob gets to 'em, gets REAL hot here! RAYView attachment 647662
Ray there are some varieties that perform very well in the heat. Many of the hatcheries on the internet will have a list of varieties that do well in the heat. Check out these two
https://www.cacklehatchery.com/
https://hoovershatchery.com/index.html

Rick we are at 16 adults and have 9 younger ones, a couple of the young ones are just starting to lay. We have both easter eggers and olive eggers

The perfect egg - plump dark yellow yolk and perfect yolk to white ratio (i.e. not tiny yolk) and perfect firm non-runny white. A thing of beauty and superb taste.

I wish there was someone in central Texas that knew how to raise eggs like this. Hens need to eat BUGS and high quality feed to lay eggs like this. I would pay $10 a dozen without batting an eye.

The Perfect Egg.jpg

Last edited:
Ray there are some varieties that perform very well in the heat. Many of the hatcheries on the internet will have a list of varieties that do well in the heat. Check out these two
https://www.cacklehatchery.com/
https://hoovershatchery.com/index.html

Rick we are at 16 adults and have 9 younger ones, a couple of the young ones are just starting to lay. We have both easter eggers and olive eggers
I have a friend here that has many breeds of chickens, she said if I want lilies, easter or any other chic just let her know. Prob around Dec or Jan I will get some.

I'm sure they will slow down some but not yet.
Yesterdays, they are in OT mode ...lol

20221110_114742.jpg

Reactions: Retired Spook
Lucky you again BGKYSmoker!!! I envy you - in a positive way!

I might have a line on eggs here in central Texas for any of you Texans that want better than Walmart grade eggs.

I am awaiting a reply to an email I sent - these folks claim to have:

...happy hens live out in our pastures, eating bugs, and seeds, and leafy green plants, along with a custom milled Non GMO, Corn and Soy Free supplemental feed. They roost in their mobile pasture coops at night, and enjoy fresh air and sunshine everyday!

I am praying to the Egg God that this is true, and the guy isn't too full of himself to answer an email in a day or two...

We'll see.

I been giving eggs away to all the local neighbors.
My egg stash is growing again. Have not collected todays eggs yet.
I been trying to figure out a safe shipping way to send my son in Colorado a few dz.
20221110_114836.jpg

Lots of bubble wrap, some dry ice and a Styrofoam cooler?? Of course the shipper will probably zing you good for the dry ice.

A colleague just sent me 2 double-pork chops from Perry's Steak House and they came in a Styrofoam cooler with dry ice!

Our hens are putting out lots of butt nuggets. So many that our neighbors are stocked up.

These I got today.

Over the week.
Butt Nuggets !!! I've never heard that one before :) My hens have started to slow right down doe winter and I'm now at that stage that when I go to town, I'm picking up hen feed and eggs at the same time.

Have you tried pickling them? I love to pickle spare eggs in brown malt vinegar with a chlli or two - goes great with a beer

A not too bad egg - not perfect (the hen is a tiny bit old - a small amount of the white white ran but I snugged it up you can see near the back of the egg), but the egg is 10x better than anything at HEB, Whole Paycheck, Central Market or any of the Farmer's Markets (here in central Texas). I paid $7 for a dozen. Yolk is nice firm dark yellow almost orange (hen eats bugs) and has very good taste, and the white that did not run is very thick and firm. About the best a person could hope for these days. Bought them from Local Pastures in Austin.

IMG_1384.JPG

Reactions: BGKYSmoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky