Looking for Kansas style rub recipes for ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nathan1220

Original poster
Apr 18, 2020
Just looking for some Kansas City style rub recipes for my baby backs I plan to smoke. When I was there they had the best BBQ I’ve ever tried, and I lived all throughout the south lol

As a native Kansas Citian, I need to point out that you are looking for Kansas City style rub recipes. Nothing good ever came out of the state of Kansas.

What about I-70?

(Insert Kansan complaint about Missouri roads here ______)

All border wars aside. My opinion: salt, pepper, garlic, paprika then however much brown sugar, and cayenne tastes good to you. Like sweet? More brown sugar. Like hot? More cayenne.

Reactions: Nathan1220
I use this recipe when I am in the mood for Kansas City Style Ribs...JJ

KC Q RUB

1/2C Sugar in the Raw* (Turbinado)
1/4C Sweet Paprika (Hungarian)
1T Kosher Salt
1T Chili Powder
1T Granulated Garlic
1T Granulated Onion
1T Dry Mustard
1tsp Black Pepper, more if you like.
1/2tsp Cayenne or Chipotle Powder

Combine all and mix well. KID FRIENDLY.
For more heat add more Cayenne or Chipotle Pwd to taste.
Note*...Sugar in the Raw stands up to higher Smoker or Grill temps the best. You can substitute Dried Brown Sugar.
Spread Brown Sugar on a sheet pan and Bake in a 200°F Oven for 15 minutes. Cool completely and rub between your hands to pulverize lumps.

Makes about 1 Cup

I use this recipe when I am in the mood for Kansas City Style Ribs...JJ

KC Q RUB

1/2C Sugar in the Raw* (Turbinado)
1/4C Sweet Paprika (Hungarian)
1T Kosher Salt
1T Chili Powder
1T Granulated Garlic
1T Granulated Onion
1T Dry Mustard
1tsp Black Pepper, more if you like.
1/2tsp Cayenne or Chipotle Powder

Combine all and mix well. KID FRIENDLY.
For more heat add more Cayenne or Chipotle Pwd to taste.
Note*...Sugar in the Raw stands up to higher Smoker or Grill temps the best. You can substitute Dried Brown Sugar.
Spread Brown Sugar on a sheet pan and Bake in a 200°F Oven for 15 minutes. Cool completely and rub between your hands to pulverize lumps.

Makes about 1 Cup

Thanks man! Greatly appreciate it!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky