looking for a decent vacuum sealer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dysartsmoker

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
Dysart Saskatchewan Canada
Costco has food saver on sale now for around $150. They say you can wash and reuse the bags and the refill's are 24-26-dollars. Anyone have one of these if so do you recomend buying?

My parents have one of the older models, not sure which, but they use it all the time and re-use the bags by washing them. The thing about it is though, it seals the bag (obviously), so when you open it you lose a little of the bag cutting it open, so washing it and reusing it your bag will get smaller and smaller. You can wash and reuse them though, for sure.

Whatever you do though, don't buy the reynolds handi-vac. The little hand held vacuum actually sucks the air out of their special bags really well...but the bags don't seal really well and air slowly leaks back in. Yeah, it's $8.99 compared to $150, but you'll get a system that actually works
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

I got a FoodSaver a couple years ago as a gift and it is great. I agree that you can wash and reuse the bags, but many times I just pitch them and use fresh. At first I thought the pre-cut bags were the stuff, but I have since switched to the rolls. Much more versatile for obvious reasons.

I recommend that you get one. It is probably one of the most useful small appliances in my kitchen.

Here is a link to FoodSavers FAQ page. Should answer many of your questions.

http://www.foodsaver.com/FAQs.aspx?Cat=APPLIANCEGENERAL

I have one and I use it all the time. It's great for leftovers and freezing. We also use the canisters for sauces, soups, smoked onions, etc.

Here is some brisket we froze from last month. You can't tell a whole lot of difference and it keeps for a long time.

Hi Jack, I have had one for years and I love it. It's so old that I have to cut the rolls with a sisor..hahaha. We use are for freezing meats and we use the canistors for marinating also. I would recomend getting one.

Happy Smoking

Steve

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky