Lone Star Grillz Pellet Pro and Con?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawyer39571

Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 17, 2022
Thinking about getting one. Any history to help me make the right decision? Lenny

I have a Lonestar Grills 42 x 20 Pellet Smoker. I also have a Pitts & Spitts 2000 Pellet Smoker.
I have also had three Traeger Smokers, including two Timberline models. The smoke that the Lonestar Grillz puts out is amazing, with greater volume than any of the smokers I have had. The Lonestar Grillz utilizes a Fireboard controller, which according to advertisements and testimory from some of the YouTube Smoking Warriors, Smokes like an offset smoker. I can't attest to that because I have never owned an offset smoker, but what I can attest to is that the Lonestar puts out more smoke than any pellet smoker I have owned. The build quality is first rate, and I am very satisfied with it. On average I use it 3 times a week. Take a look at YouTube and type in Lonestar Pellet Smoker in the search engine, and take a look at all the folks who use one.

Reactions: G8trwood
I have the 20x42 on order. 13 weeks to go...
Looks like an amazing grill.
Only con I have seen in videos I have watched was about the hopper lid.
It just comes off, no hinges.

Yes the Hopper Lid does come off, but I don't see that as a pro or a con. I just remove it and direct the pellets to the clearance shute when it gets low or when I remove the pellets after each cook, no hinges to bend.

Last edited:
Update on the hopper lid...
I asked Chris about the hopper lid and it is hinged now.
Guess they responded to complaints about it coming off.

Attachments

• Hopper Lid.png
    Hopper Lid.png
    249.6 KB · Views: 38
Have you tried the wood chip and pellet blend in the hopper. That is a huge selling point for me. My smoking season will be over by the time I get mine in the que. I have an estimated $3500 ish with freight. This will be the last one I get...

However, I think I'll keep my heavily moded Masterbuilt 1050, which I'm about to line the firebox with firebrick. Should be epic... (Great or Catastrophic)

If want to use chips with pellets, I'm pretty sure you have to buy them from LSG as they appear to be smaller than others you can buy.
There is at least one Youtube video where the chips & pellets are used in an LSG.

Reactions: smovider70
I have a Mak 2-Star and like it ok, but I need something bigger. I'm looking at the big LSG and the Timberline XL. They both get rave reviews. Sawyer, you recommend the LSG over the Traeger? Can anyone else recommend one over the other?

Thanks!

I have a Mak 2-Star and like it ok, but I need something bigger. I'm looking at the big LSG and the Timberline XL. They both get rave reviews. Sawyer, you recommend the LSG over the Traeger? Can anyone else recommend one over the other?

Thanks!
Depends on your budget and what you are looking for.
For me, hands down it would be the LSG.
I am a little biased though, my LSG 20x42 pellet grill has been ordered and is getting built Monday. :emoji_sunglasses:
IMO The Fireboard Controller on the LSG is better than any other controller I know of on a pellet cooker.

Look for LSG videos. Lots of them on Youtube.

These are fairly new and 1st one is a great video about the Controller and the following one is about the App.
Fireboard Controller

Fireboard App

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky