Liver/Gizzards/Hearts Pate (chicken)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

atomicsmoke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 3, 2014
Toronto, Canada
We make liver pate often around here. Since i had some nice looking gizzards and hearts i thought i would try a pate from them (and liver). I would expect a different texture and meatier taste (not as rich as liver pate).

I sauted some onion with garlic in butter then added the organs (large parts cut up in smaller pieces).
20171123_194539-1.jpg

Spices in the mill: pepper, juniper berries, rosemary and thyme.
20171123_195553-1.jpg

In the food processor
20171123_202944-1.jpg

Secret ingredient (i expect some flack for using it)
20171123_204448-1.jpg

In ramekins
20171123_203742-1.jpg

Reactions: idahopz
Nice...Needs some thin sliced sweet onion on top. I did similarly with Turkey Liver. Nobody would touch it. I was sooo disappointed...JJ:D

Nice...Needs some thin sliced sweet onion on top. I did similarly with Turkey Liver. Nobody would touch it. I was sooo disappointed...JJ:D

I would have touched it... plenty of times... fork in pate... fork on cracker... cracker in mouth... repeat...

Great idea - we love gizzards - simmer them in salt water for a few hours until they are butter tender. I'm going to try something similar to what you did with that as an ingredient.

How was the texture in your finished pate?

We eat gizzards too on their own. I cook them in the pressure cooker to speed up things.

Texture was coarser than a 100% liver pate. As expected. But still very spreadable.
Tastes great...protein and liver flavours blend nicely.
Liquid smoke certainly brings it home with the smoke component.

We eat gizzards too on their own. I cook them in the pressure cooker to speed up things.

Texture was coarser than a 100% liver pate. As expected. But still very spreadable.
Tastes great...protein and liver flavours blend nicely.
Liquid smoke certainly brings it home with the smoke component.

I love fried gizzards but don't care for the long boil/simmer time it takes to soften them up for the deep fryer.
How long do you leave them in the pressure cooker?

I love fried gizzards but don't care for the long boil/simmer time it takes to soften them up for the deep fryer.
How long do you leave them in the pressure cooker?
One hour. Probably feel too tender for some, but we like them that way.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky