Little bit of kielbasa.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Coreymacc

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 7, 2020
Alberta,ca
Finally got some time off and I decided to restock the kielbasa. Starting with some pork I picked up a little while ago. If things go right Im planning to do this thread in somewhat real time. :emoji_slight_smile: This is my first time doing pics on this sight so hope it works ok. Basically I'm apologizing in advance.:emoji_smile:

Corey
pork dec 23.jpg
:emoji_slight_smile:

Reactions: JC in GB
Ended up being 17.75lbs of meat. I don't have a tub big enough to mix that amount in one shot so I split it up equally, I think it may be time for a meat mixer, or at least a bigger mixing tub.
Meat into the fridge for a bit while I do some math and mix spices.
20201223_142239[1].jpg

Corey

Pretty classic kielbasa recipe, I've been playing with this one for a lot of years to get the salt and other spices balanced right. It started as a Rytek recipe but without near as much salt.

Corey
20201223_145658[1].jpg

Reactions: crazymoon
First batch mixed up. This is a solid time tested recipe but I can never resist frying up a tester:emoji_laughing:
20201223_153410[1].jpg
20201223_153036[1].jpg

Looking Good. We will be having Kielbasa on Christmas Day. What percentage of Marjoram are you adding?...JJ

Stuffer loaded and ready to go. Then a little bit of work and got 14 rings into the fridge for the night. I hope I don't have any issues, I had a couple of my knots slip. I've never had to do 3 knots to tie the casings. I started doing 2 knots like I normally do and had a couple slip loose. Odd. I re-did them with 3 knots and they seemed fine. I still have 3 rings that are double knotted, hope they hold over night, I think once they dry a bit the knots will stay put. :emoji_pray: Not a huge fan of these casings, its not my regular supplier. I packed them tight , they are kinda knarly looking, like the casing is not uniform. Oh well. Smoking tommorow
20201223_160758[1].jpg
20201223_171146[1].jpg
:emoji_slight_smile:

Yes indeed...looking good so far. AS for the knots, it helps to twist the casing before tying, this cinches the knot down on itself and makes the knot stronger.

Also- you have a very nice work space. I like it!

Yes indeed...looking good so far. AS for the knots, it helps to twist the casing before tying, this cinches the knot down on itself and makes the knot stronger.

Also- you have a very nice work space. I like it!
Exactly, did that also. Never had this issue in the past. I actually lost one ring , the knot slipped and I found it laying on my catch tray. Head scratcher for sure. Maybe old casings.It didn't damage the ring, it will just cook in a tray.
I appreciate the comment on my space, I call it the meat room. Been working years to get a space to play and finally it's come together. Next is a bigger smoker.

Looks real good! I was gonna comment on your workspace also... very nice!

Ryan

Sausage had a warm up this morning on the counter while I had a "special" coffee. then into the smoker at 9 am. Been in for about 3 hrs with maple smoke on for about 2 hrs so far. I plan to smoke for about another 40 min. I don't like a huge smoke flavor. Got really lucky on this one, the temp outside is plus 2 deg c ( 35.5 deg f). In Alberta on Dec 24 that's almost summer:emoji_slight_smile:
20201224_085431[1].jpg
20201224_090649[1].jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky