Limited Time & $$, What can I Grill/Smoke???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nutt

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 19, 2011
Fort Collins Colorado
I need your input folks! My wife’s uncle is visiting and is a rancher....hence knows his meat!!!!

I live in Colorado and am wondering what should I grill and or smoke for them??? Oh and they live in “BBQ heaven” state so it’s not like I can just smoke something willy nilly and they will be impressed like most other people.

So I only have a few days to prepare because they already here....money is limited so $125+ for the protein is a no go.... and maybe I should think outside the box and do some bison for once?(is that pricey??) or actually there is a butcher here in town that does a lot of exotic sausages, snake-boar-elk-bison mixes. Always phenomenal when I get them....maybe get some of those if available, keep it simple, just fancy sausages with buns and sides??

I have a packer in the deep freeze but that’s boring.....want something different!

Thanks for all your input in advance!

If he is a beef rancher (which I assume he is), turn the tables and show him some good Ole' Southeastern Pulled Pork. Finish it off with a Memphis, North Carolina, South Carolina, or Alabama sauce (if I left a state out, sorry guys). Hell, make all of the sauces. Pork butts are cheaper than brisket, more forgiving, and are as popular in the South as Brisket is in the West. He should be impressed.

I'd stay away from beef, if he's used to the best it's gonna be hard to impress him. So I'd go with Spatchcock chickens marinated in chimichurri sauce because chicken is cheap but good.
That and a pasta salad and some grilled sweet corn on the cob and you gotta fine meal.

...turn the tables and show him some good Ole' Southeastern Pulled Pork....He should be impressed.
Certainly less than your budget so you can try it a couple of time to get it to where you like. Can't imagine that Southern (or Southeastern) Pulled Pork is a meal they get frequently? Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Both great ideas . Pulled pork , pulled chicken , or both . Slider rolls and 4 or 5 choices on sauce .

Turkey, fatties, moinks, pork shots or salmon. Something he hasn't seen before, heard of, or tasted. Gotta get the WOW factor..

Chris

Guys You are in my zone,... I have all that protein in the freezer!! 2 nice butts and several birds even a turkey.
And you are right .....maybe some Salmon on cedar plank?????

Pretty hard to go wrong with any of that, and I have done it all several times so I would be comfortable doing it :-)

Now to just narrow it down and decide... ahh the hard part LoL

Thanks guys for helping me keep it in my lane.:emoji_sunglasses:

Reactions: fullborebbq
What did you decide to go with? If you are still lurking ribs, moinks, abt's, smoked mac+cheese, and Mexican street corn are always a hit!

Theme park style cured and smoked turkey legs may be different enough to impress. I also like the spatchcock chicken and smoked Mac and cheese suggestion.
HOWEVER ......
I don't know anyone anyone who would not appreciate a gently smoked lobster, with a side of Hasselback potatoes and an ice cold salad. Simple elegance. 6 oz fresh lobster tails at my local WinCo were $6.98 apiece last week.

Last edited:
Reactions: tallbm
Well folks hate to disappoint but I have not been feeling well so decided to not do anything that would take away from the fam...ie the wife didn’t want me playing with food :emoji_disappointed: thankfully they brought some top shelf meat with them!! So today we had AMAZING burgers!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky