Offset, Cabinet or gravity fed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

groovenreuven

Original poster
Aug 17, 2023
I am graduating from a 7 year stint with a pellet smoker. I enjoyed but the smoke flavor is limited.

Visiting local bbq shop to look at old country bravos, old country gravity fed and Meadow Creek cabinets.

I know each has its own positives and negatives but it would be great to get your 2 cents.

I live in Maryland so I would like to use in winter if possible.

Reactions: JLeonard
I think it depends on how much and how often you want to play with your fire and what your fuel and fuel efficiency preferences are - and whether any of those considerations outweigh flavor for you.

I've not cooked on all of these but I had the same question a while back. My research indicated that from the flavor perspective, offsets are generally considered to be capable of giving the best flavor, with gravity feeds being capable of approaching offsets, and then cabinets. Note that I said "capable" since all of these are capable of putting out terrible food and someone that's good with a cabinet can put out better food than an inexperienced or crappy cook using an offset.

The offset requires you to maintain the fire with regular feedings - fun for some, work for others. Definitely not set and forget. It also will go thru the most fuel.

The gravity fed cookers are almost set and forget if you're using a temperature controller, but you have to watch out for fuel bridging in the chute. Be prepared to go thru a lot of charcoal.

The cabinet smokers are more set and forget than the gravity feeds if you're using a temperature controller and they're the most fuel efficient.

While I really wanted an offset (I like to play with fire!), I ended up getting a gravity fed, primarily because I didn't want to sit up all night to tend to an offset. Mine will go thru 15 lbs or more of charcoal for a long low and slow cook of 12 to 16 hours - I usually run at 200° overnight to minimize the risk of running out of fuel and then bump up to 225°-275° in the morning depending on where I'm at in the stall.

I've also been experimenting with using a minimal amount of charcoal to preheat the smoker and get the fire burning and then dropping splits down the chute to fuel most of the cook in an attempt to get closer to offset flavor. This gives a bit more puffs of dirty smoke than the prescribed charcoal in the chute and wood chunks in the ash bin method but it's not too bad.

I'm also trying hotter cooks to get the cook done during the day and then doing a heated hold overnight since I don't sleep well during an overnight cook. Since I picked the gravity fed to avoid tending an offset all night, the lack of good sleep sort of defeats that reason. If my hotter and fast-ish experiments work out, I'll be looking for an offset next spring. I've done two of these experiments with pork butts and have been very happy with the results. Gotta try a brisket or two now.

I think it depends on how much and how often you want to play with your fire and what your fuel and fuel efficiency preferences are - and whether any of those considerations outweigh flavor for you.

I've not cooked on all of these but I had the same question a while back. My research indicated that from the flavor perspective, offsets are generally considered to be capable of giving the best flavor, with gravity feeds being capable of approaching offsets, and then cabinets. Note that I said "capable" since all of these are capable of putting out terrible food and someone that's good with a cabinet can put out better food than an inexperienced or crappy cook using an offset.

The offset requires you to maintain the fire with regular feedings - fun for some, work for others. Definitely not set and forget. It also will go thru the most fuel.

The gravity fed cookers are almost set and forget if you're using a temperature controller, but you have to watch out for fuel bridging in the chute. Be prepared to go thru a lot of charcoal.

The cabinet smokers are more set and forget than the gravity feeds if you're using a temperature controller and they're the most fuel efficient.

While I really wanted an offset (I like to play with fire!), I ended up getting a gravity fed, primarily because I didn't want to sit up all night to tend to an offset. Mine will go thru 15 lbs or more of charcoal for a long low and slow cook of 12 to 16 hours - I usually run at 200° overnight to minimize the risk of running out of fuel and then bump up to 225°-275° in the morning depending on where I'm at in the stall.

I've also been experimenting with using a minimal amount of charcoal to preheat the smoker and get the fire burning and then dropping splits down the chute to fuel most of the cook in an attempt to get closer to offset flavor. This gives a bit more puffs of dirty smoke than the prescribed charcoal in the chute and wood chunks in the ash bin method but it's not too bad.

I'm also trying hotter cooks to get the cook done during the day and then doing a heated hold overnight since I don't sleep well during an overnight cook. Since I picked the gravity fed to avoid tending an offset all night, the lack of good sleep sort of defeats that reason. If my hotter and fast-ish experiments work out, I'll be looking for an offset next spring. I've done two of these experiments with pork butts and have been very happy with the results. Gotta try a brisket or two now.

I have both an offset and a pellet. Offsets do give superior flavor but take a lot more time and effort. Not only during the cook, but also time cutting/splitting/seasoning wood to cook with. Just something to consider in your choice. I like running the offset when I have time to sit there tending the fire, but more often use the pellet grill for convenience.

Some ways to get more smoke flavor out of a pellet grill include running the first couple hours on the lowest setting, where pellet grills produce the most smoke, and using smoke tubes. Even doing this, you're not getting the flavor you would from an offset, but I find it close enough to consider it a fair tradeoff for the convenience.

If my hotter and fast-ish experiments work out, I'll be looking for an offset next spring. I've done two of these experiments with pork butts and have been very happy with the results. Gotta try a brisket or two now.
I pretty much run hot and fast (275~300° range) no matter which cooker I'm using and there is no real difference in the end product than running the old standard 225°. I will run the pellet grill low as it goes at the beginning for the additional smoke, then crank it up.

Thank you so much for the information I was very nice of you provide that much detail

My gut tells me to go with the gravity fed for several reasons. First is the ease of use. People have mentioned that the offset can take a while to get the desired results. I only cook 2-3 times per month.

Weather. I heard the offset is hard to manage tems in colder temperatures.

My thoughts were that if the the GF can get me 80-90% of the offset results, then I would be very happy. But if not…that is the question.

Last edited:
I have both an offset and a pellet. Offsets do give superior flavor but take a lot more time and effort. Not only during the cook, but also time cutting/splitting/seasoning wood to cook with. Just something to consider in your choice. I like running the offset when I have time to sit there tending the fire, but more often use the pellet grill for convenience.

Some ways to get more smoke flavor out of a pellet grill include running the first couple hours on the lowest setting, where pellet grills produce the most smoke, and using smoke tubes. Even doing this, you're not getting the flavor you would from an offset, but I find it close enough to consider it a fair tradeoff for the convenience.
Thank you Doug! I loved my pellet but it’s end of life and I’m ready for something new. I really wanted an an offset but folks kept on telling me how hard they are to manage and get good results. Maybe they have no idea what they’re talking about :) that’s why my gut says gravity feed as a good middle ground. So many choices can drive a man insane.

Depending on the wood I’m using but my cooker just seems to settle in around the 275 range so that’s where I cook at. Even running hotter I feel I get a much better product then running the pellet grill at any temp.

Reactions: DougE
I really wanted an an offset but folks kept on telling me how hard they are to manage and get good results
I have an old country pecos offset. There is some truth to that. There is a learning curve to an offset that isn't there with a pellet. You have to figure out how that smoker likes to be run, how to manage the fire, what to do when the fire gets too hot or too cool. Where the hot spots are. These are just a few. Once you figure it out it gets easier.

Excellent answer

I pretty much run hot and fast (275~300° range) no matter which cooker I'm using and there is no real difference in the end product than running the old standard 225°. I will run the pellet grill low as it goes at the beginning for the additional smoke, then crank it up.
100% agree

What Gravity Feed did you buy ?

People have mentioned that the offset can take a while to get the desired results. I only cook 2-3 times per month.
All offsets require babysitting for sure and you have to like doing that. However, not all offsets are created equal. A general rule is the thicker the steel the easier they are to manage, I also believe a reverse flow is a little easier as well.
Mine has an insulated firebox which I believe helps in the colder temps (I’m in Michigan) and in the winter I’ll drape the cooking tube with moving blankets to help hold in the warmth.

All offsets require babysitting for sure and you have to like doing that. However, not all offsets are created equal. A general rule is the thicker the steel the easier they are to manage, I also believe a reverse flow is a little easier as well.
Mine has an insulated firebox which I believe helps in the colder temps (I’m in Michigan) and in the winter I’ll drape the cooking tube with moving blankets to help hold in the warmt
Mine has an insulated firebox which I believe helps in the colder temps (I’m in Michigan) and in the winter I’ll drape the cooking tube with moving blankets to help hold in the warmth.
I actually do the same with my pellet during the winter. Bought a welders blanket which can take very high heat. Works great to keep temps in check.

What Gravity Feed did you buy ?
I got v the Southern Q Limo Jr. I'm reasonably happy with it - it performs well. Build quality is good other than a few rough cuts; paint quality is first rate. The price was pretty good but I thought the crating and shipping was a bit high. I'm just not physically up to driving to GA from NC to pick up a smoker.

Reactions: jcam222
I got v the Southern Q Limo Jr. I'm reasonably happy with it - it performs well. Build quality is good other than a few rough cuts; paint quality is first rate. The price was pretty good but I thought the crating and shipping was a bit high. I'm just not physically up to driving to GA from NC to pick up a smoker.

I got my Assassin 17 last week. I've done a seasoning and a rib cook and the charcoal usage is far less than the Masterbuilt 560 I'd been using. That's not a very large sample but its not nearly as leaky as the MB.

Reactions: jcam222
Lot's of good advice here. I've run the gamut and still have a patio full of relics. Got2 my feet wet with a Masterbuilt electric which was fraught with "issues". That just set the hook or me. Went to a vertical charcoal deal due to price at the box store. got better results, bu it had it's issues with charcoal and wood capacity. Then I did the "egg" thing. Not a gawd awful expensive real one but a real ceramic 400 lb version by Lifesmart.. Ended up not being my cup of tea. Then one day traipsing the home depot I saw a floor model Masterbuilt Gravity on clearance already assembled. I thought I'd met my forever smoker. We began camping a good deal with a toyhauler trailer and discovered the MB gravity was less than portable. In my search for something more camp friendly I kept reading about the acclaimed Weber Smoky mountain. That's pretty much the end of the story, except i wish I would have dropped the extra Benjamin for the 22"
If you wan to give it a go, keep an eye on Craigslist and Market Place. Sometimes there's deals on hthre.
It's almost the only smoker I use anymore, except a quick pork belly on the ol' MB electric with a smoke tube.
John

smoke family resize.jpg

I have several types of smokers and I think they all have there strengths, but if I could only have one smoker it would be a pellet smoker…. But I use ours 3-4 times a week vs 2-3 a month….I don’t have a gravity but it is one that I want to have….at some point I may build one to have but it’s hard to give up the convenience of the pellet (I use my RT 1250 year round below zero temps and all with no blanket and no temp issues). You could get a RT 700 for the same price you are looking at but I fully understand wanting to venture out…..

I am also like Doug I do more of my cooks at 265 over any temp…..ie I get brisket or pulled pork in a day and I also get a full nights sleep.

Out of the ones you noted I would lean to towards the insulated gravity or the MC cabinet. The design of that particular offset has a number of performance issues and they get way worse in wind and winter…… I think the gravity would be the more universal though…..ie once you learn were it burns at temp it’s just fire it up and go….if you get a controller for it then even easier…..just food for thought……and good luck with the decision.

Last edited:

I got my Assassin 17 last week. I've done a seasoning and a rib cook and the charcoal usage is far less than the Masterbuilt 560 I'd been using. That's not a very large sample but its not nearly as leaky as the MB.
Two quality built gravity feeds for sure!! I've considered both of them in the past.

Reactions: Smokin Okie
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky