Let's Build A Smokehouse

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I saw the pic of your other build, with a pellet hopper. How has that worked out? I'm wanting to build one, but capable of 225-275 temps.
Worked great. Held temps I needed 160-175...no higher...
Smokehouse....not a smokehousebbq

If you want high temps 225-275 I would say stick with a bbq grill or metal smoker.

Worked great. Held temps I needed 160-175...no higher...
Smokehouse....not a smokehousebbq

If you want high temps 225-275 I would say stick with a bbq grill or metal smoker.
I'm definitely not going as big as yours - roughly 30"w, 24"d & 48"h. Do you think that is doable? From what I found, the burner should be around 36k btu.

I got some input from Adam about heat source.
I wanna go with 220 but so dang expensive to run, I have to go out 100' from where the 220 plug is in the basement.

So

I'm thinking this setup.

Small pellet pooper I can sit on the firebricks. I can remove the lid.

Yay
or
Nay

ppgr.jpg

I don't think the electronics would last very long and temp control would be difficult.

Reactions: indaswamp
If you wanted a mini with a better control the GMG trek would be a better choice. it will run on 12V if you wanted to as well.

220 would be the most reliable and controllable. Oh as an FYI, you can wire in a 240 element or multiple of them. They come in at 1/4 the watts when Ohms law comes in. I'm wondering if you got to 1800 watts if that would cover you...... You could buy a double 900 watt element (total 1800 watts) from smokin-it (Their #5 model) ....

Oh I found a number of 100ft 30 amp 250V on was $209 another was $399. But these are about the same as a 2 or 3 wire by the foot.

I've been thinking the same . Multiple lower watt burners to add up to what his Auber is rated for . ( I think he's using an Auber controller ) Different areas of the smokehouse .
smokin-it elements are really nice. The double 900W unit is 69.99 plus shipping. The Auber 1800W would be able to run both this and the cold smoke generator as well.

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky