Leatherneck Roll Call.... All Branches Welcome!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jp61

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Mar 6, 2011
NE Ohio
Alright Marines, Quit Your Lollygagging and Get in Formation!

USMC

1st Battalion 9th Marines

1979 - 1983

E-4  0311 Grunt 

Last edited:
We Navy guys will always remember what Bob Hope said > 'Marines are there on ships so that the Navy guys have someone to dance with.'  

sausage.gif

Only kidding. Maybe...............

Veryolddog, it looks like it's just the two of us and the squid :)

biggrin.gif
 The rest of the Marines on SMF must be busy spit shining their smokers.

Semper Fi Marines.

USMC 1970-1990

Too many duty stations to post.

MOS 3073/Aviation Supply, 4044/Univac-1500 Computer Opr/Programmer and 8411/Recruiter

"Not as mean, not as lean, but still a Marine"

Jarhead,

You were in when I served as well. I was trained in technology at the IBM education center in Washington D. C. Then I went to Recon School, jumped, Pendleton, and served 20 months in Viet Nam. Different kind of technology although all of the IBM training and lessons learned prepared me for a career in the business world as a Chief Information Officer. The Marine Corps provided me foundation to be successful in business which I believe that no college or advance education can give you. Some of the other experiences were not that great. 

I will always be proud to be a Marine. It makes me feel special, although I do not deserve it. The other fellows were very special. 

Nice to say hello!

With kind regards,

Ed

Veryolddog, it looks like it's just the two of us and the squid :)

biggrin.gif
 The rest of the Marines on SMF must be busy spit shining their smokers.
'Bubblehead' to be precise!  Navy subs.  You know I'm only kidding.  I have the utmost respect for you guys AFTER the SEALS.  :)

Jarhead,

You were in when I served as well. I was trained in technology at the IBM education center in Washington D. C. Then I went to Recon School, jumped, Pendleton, and served 20 months in Viet Nam. Different kind of technology although all of the IBM training and lessons learned prepared me for a career in the business world as a Chief Information Officer. The Marine Corps provided me foundation to be successful in business which I believe that no college or advance education can give you. Some of the other experiences were not that great. 

I will always be proud to be a Marine. It makes me feel special, although I do not deserve it. The other fellows were very special. 

Nice to say hello!

With kind regards,

Ed
That is what is so lacking in many of the people working now.  They don't realize how valuable that training is for the business world.  Get the job done.  Take orders. Get dirty if needed. Learn how to work as a team.  So valuable but so missing in our society.  Thank you for your service!

'Bubblehead' to be precise!  Navy subs.  You know I'm only kidding.  I have the utmost respect for you guys AFTER the SEALS.  :)
Yes 'Bubblehead'... 
biggrin.gif
, I know you were kidding, so was I. We all heard them before and 99.8% of the time it's all in good fun. The SEALS are..... well they're the SEALS, everyone needs to respect them.   

Yes 'Bubblehead'... 
biggrin.gif
, I know you were kidding, so was I. We all heard them before and 99.8% of the time it's all in good fun. The SEALS are..... well they're the SEALS, everyone needs to respect them.   
The other good one I hear about we submariners is that 120 guys (before they screwed up and left women on board) submerged and 60 couples came back up.  
banana_smiley.gif

I am very fond of the Navy. My Dad served in the submarine service during WWII and a petty officer E-6. My brother served in the U. S. Navy during the Korean War on board a Destroyer. I was extracted quite a few times by Navy subs from 1968 through 1990. Always treated very well, always received hot food and a clean place to sleep. Almost treated like royalty.

Jarhead,

Some of the other experiences were not that great. 
Ah-Ha, you had to sit on the sh*tcan and flap your wings too, huh?
icon_lol.gif

What kind of bird don't fly? Well, we know the answer to that, don't we?

I went to Avn Supply School (AKC), followed by the mechanized training at NAS Memphis (Millington, Tn)

First stationed with VMGR-352, El Toro. My favorite tour. Loved them KC-130's.

OJT as a dinosaur computer operator. Gotta love those high speed tape drives and 16k of memory.
th_roflmao.gif

Then Recruiter's School, MCRD San Diego. Thank God, it wasn't DI School.

Got sent to RSS Rolla, Mo. 4 years of pure hell, BUT, being the only Marine around did have it's benefits, and I never got caught. LOL

Then mostly in helicopters for the bulk of my time. MAG supply.

Last edited:
I am very fond of the Navy. My Dad served in the submarine service during WWII and a petty officer E-6. My brother served in the U. S. Navy during the Korean War on board a Destroyer. I was extracted quite a few times by Navy subs from 1968 through 1990. Always treated very well, always received hot food and a clean place to sleep. Almost treated like royalty.
The Sub guys are a special breed, to be sure.  Like a big family with very little regulation.  No B.S. We all had a job to do and did it any way we could. Great on your Dad on diesels.  E6 was GOOD duty on a sub.  I had the priveledge to ride a WWII boat, the Pomfret, out of San Diego for a few weeks.  What a difference between it and the nukes.  I can imagine that the guys treated you well when you were picked up.  Probably even got some of the Doc's medicinal booze or a few beers.  We stocked up on beer, wine, and torpedo juice.  Those days are gone, unfortunately.  My brother was on a destroyer during Viet Nam, the Earnest G. Small, and the cruiser, Newport News, also off the coast of VN.  We had the New Jersey go over us a couple of times when we were on patrol. 
drool.gif

Tin Can sailor here, member of The Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club. Ping Jockey riding the stack '65 thru '69. Carrier plane guard and shore bombardment.

Tin Can sailor here, member of The Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club. Ping Jockey riding the stack '65 thru '69. Carrier plane guard and shore bombardment.
Did you get stuck in the big typhoon in about 68?  My brother's destroyer rode it out.  We were 300 feet down taking 30 degree rolls under him.  :)  They got back to Pearl and while tied up at the destroyer wharf, the started flooding in the engine room and had to get pushed into a dry dock.  They had to scrap it because there was nothing worth welding to for many frames!  They were lucky they didn't sink!

I was Comm and Sonar officer using the same equipment you probably were.  Same time frame - 65 to 70. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky