LAYERS OF FLAVOR ON PORK RIBS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hawging It

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 1, 2019
Southeast Mississippi
When smoking pork ribs I like to pour or slather stuff on the racks for different layers of flavor. A good rub that is not heavy on the salt, Coca Cola, apple/pineapple juice combo, Tiger sauce, butter, brown sugar, pineapple/habanero glaze and homemade barbecue sauce at the end. Sometimes I only use a couple of things. Just according how I feel and how elaborate I want to get. It just works for me. I wanted to hear for some of you about what you do as it relates to different flavor layers. Have a good one!!

Reactions: fivetricks
Jimmy gave me an out of this world char Siu recipe for pork that I played around with. If you follow his recipe straight up, it's great. A total crowd pleaser, which is hard because I have both the "I'd like my food 19 on a scale of 1/10 spicy" and the "black pepper is entirely too spicy for me" crowd.

That being said, I started farting around with a modification to that recipe and it has been gold. I make his recipe as is, but I baste and top with a homemade tart cherry BBQ I've been experimenting with and the flavor layering is just what the doctor ordered. A deep Michigan cherry flavor with an optional spicy kick (have 2 versions of the cherry BBQ sauce) up front and then that char Siu depth of flavor that compliments it perfectly on the back end.

I have 2 events in mind that I will probably be serving this recipe to this summer. So that's about 100-110 racks between the two events. Needless to say (to chef Jimmy), there's gonna be an upcharge for those baby's

Jimmy gave me an out of this world char Siu recipe for pork that I played around with. If you follow his recipe straight up, it's great. A total crowd pleaser, which is hard because I have both the "I'd like my food 19 on a scale of 1/10 spicy" and the "black pepper is entirely too spicy for me" crowd.

That being said, I started farting around with a modification to that recipe and it has been gold. I make his recipe as is, but I baste and top with a homemade tart cherry BBQ I've been experimenting with and the flavor layering is just what the doctor ordered. A deep Michigan cherry flavor with an optional spicy kick (have 2 versions of the cherry BBQ sauce) up front and then that char Siu depth of flavor that compliments it perfectly on the back end.

I have 2 events in mind that I will probably be serving this recipe to this summer. So that's about 100-110 racks between the two events. Needless to say (to chef Jimmy), there's gonna be an upcharge for those baby's
I hear ya! Some folks just can't eat even mild spicy things. Hell, if my head ain't sweating then I'm not happy! LOL!!

Reactions: fivetricks
Yep, I'm also of the iron stomach crowd. I'm always looking for this spicy food competition or that one. Kinda hard to find though

Perfect timing. I am going to make a new thread when my next experiment happens.......which will be real soon. But I'll give away (ha) my new secret weapon I will be trying. Its cake sprinkles. Yep. I will only do a couple of inches on 1 end just in case it doesn't work out. My grand Daughter basically requested it so no way I can say no! Who knows? Worst case is I can scrape em off; I can't imagine it would ruin it. It's gonna be fun to see if they melt or stay crunchy. LOL.

Hawging It Hawging It that sounds like some killer ribs. I’d like to see how those turn out. Post some pics. I love a good mix of heat and some sweet. I’m a big fan of tiger sauce. I make my own bbq sauce and tiger sauce is one of the bigger flavors that jumps out at you. Keep us updated.

Perfect timing. I am going to make a new thread when my next experiment happens.......which will be real soon. But I'll give away (ha) my new secret weapon I will be trying. Its cake sprinkles. Yep. I will only do a couple of inches on 1 end just in case it doesn't work out. My grand Daughter basically requested it so no way I can say no! Who knows? Worst case is I can scrape em off; I can't imagine it would ruin it. It's gonna be fun to see if they melt or stay crunchy. LOL.
Do anything for the Grand-kids!!

Reactions: Tex1911
8 different flavor layers on these.
DONE.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky