Last weekend in February, Whats Smokin'?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chisoxjim

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 25, 2007
the 2nd worst month of the year is almost done(January is the worst imho). Spring is right around the corner, and so is MLB, gotta love it.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

What are folks smokin' this weekend? I am sending the wife to RD to pick me up a pack of spares today, and I plan on doing them Saturday unless a local crawfish boil casts its spell on me(then Ill smoke em' Sunday).

Should have decent temps, mid 30's, and the WSM will be kicking out the TBS as usual, gonna trim the spares down to St. Louis style, and also smoke up the tips, and skirt for a cooks snack. No foil, my rub, & using the tart wash I used for the BB's a couple weekends ago. RO & hickory as fuel.

whats cookin' folks?

SPRING IS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER!
icon_smile.gif
Me and my friends are going to get together and smoke some ribs and chicken. We smoke our meats useing pecan and oak chunks that I have. My friend where we are smoking has a pool table in a shed and some horseshoe pits in the back yard. We are going to smoke some meat, shoot some pool, play some horseshoes, and drink a few beers this weekend.

Have a nice day and a great weekend this weekend, Jason.

heck yeah Jason, sounds like good time.

I hope the food turns out great.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

I gotta say I love winter, however this one has been a little too harsh for me. I prefer to get a good heavy snow, then watch it melt and get another storm in a week or two. This year I miss my backyard, haven't seen it since before Thanksgiving.

Nothing hot smoking this weekend. I think I'll probably cold smoke some cheese and salmon. I might make some chili too.

Not sure about the weekend but the star (BBs) is ready, the set-up's done, and I'm just biding time until I fire up Lil' Puffy. Weekends here are pretty much 100% unpredictable - never know when something with the grandkids is going to surface.

btw, I snagged the charcoal grate from the 18.5 Weber kettle and laid it out as you suggested. None of the lump (that I could tell) fell through.

I almost went w/ bb's, but I have had them alot lately, figured spares would be a good changeup.

After a busy morning Saturday(swim lessons for my daughter, etc.), I have the rest of the day to wait around for the Dish Network guy to come for my install(switching back from DirecTV). no better time to fire up them smoker.

glad that charcoal grate fix worked, I havent done it yet, but will as soon as I get myself to Home Depot.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

I can't wait for baseball!!!

That said, this weekend I am going to be smoking a left over pork butt probably Friday into Saturday and then Sunday I am thinking about doing some baby backs, Dutch's beans and maybe some ABTs. Throw in a fatty either Friday or Sunday too probably.

I have a 4lbs SS I will do tonight. A turkey for tomorrow and cheese on saturday. I am also whining about the long winter. Until I spent a week in Iowa. They may see thier back yard in June.

Did some tasso yesterday, was ok but need to work on the seasonings a bit more.
Have a smoked turkey I want to try double smoking and see how it tastes, I know Ron did one a while back but it wasn't for him so who knows how it came out.

sounds good,

I bet "double smoking" a turkey will turn out good. I "double smoke" kilbasa and other sausages alot, and like the outcome

I will be smoking for the first time on the New Lang 60 Deluxe, so i am getting pumped about that, i will be smokeing 2-rack's of spare's, 3-pork butt's,1-brisket, and some ABT's, and beans and mac & cheese in the warmer.

Wow i hope me and the wife can eat all that, lol, no got friends coming over.

I will post some QVIEW from this weekend off the new smoker.

Good smokes

Hopefully, I'l be smoking something for the Feb. throwdown. Film at 11...

ABT s stuffed with smoked ground brisket ( patty form then chopped ) and fried smoked thick cut bacon pieces . May smoke some fresh gulf shrimp as well if my cousin shows up with them as he comes up from Galveston Island and Lake Jackson area . If I smoke the shrimp I am making shrimp kisses as well .

May take Qview if time permits . My son has a college track meet @ Texas A & M Saturday all day in Commerce , Texas . This is about 65 miles from Mabank and around 72 miles from Mesquite Texas so time may be an issue Sunday .

the wife got me a pack of spares @ RD, I think she said $1.49/lb., about a 14# pack with 2 slabs inside, un-enhanced of course.

I was tempted by some bb's she told me they had for $2.49/lb, but I have done alot of bb's lately, and have a 9lb pack of them in my freezer for the future.

should be a good Saturday, tips, skirt, spares, mac-n-cheese.

Correction:

The wife did a great job @ RD, got me a 12# pack of spares, price was $1.59/lb(not the $1.49 on the previous post, still a good price for un-enhanced spares). Really nice looking racks, nice marbeling, etc.

Cant wait to get them out tonight after work, and trim them down, and get them ready for tomorrow. Counting on about 6 hours to be ready for supper.

I was actually planning to stay warm inside on this last weekend in Feb. Now that I've read this thread, I'm officially hungry. I guess I'm gonna have to smoke something. THANKS, guys.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky