Slicer Help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

millerbuilds

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 13, 2013
Little Elm, TX
Well, my Cabela's Slicer (LEM I believe) finally burned up and the motor is shot. I am looking for suggestions on what brand to get next. I have been looking over the past few months at finding a used Hobart, but no luck finding one for under $1K.
Looking for reviews of other brands out there. I am currently looking at the Nesco, Backyard Pro, and Anvantco

Thoughts and feedback?

Thanks,
- Jason

Well, my Cabela's Slicer (LEM I believe) finally burned up and the motor is shot. I am looking for suggestions on what brand to get next. I have been looking over the past few months at finding a used Hobart, but no luck finding one for under $1K.
Looking for reviews of other brands out there. I am currently looking at the Nesco, Backyard Pro, and Anvantco

Thoughts and feedback?

Thanks,
- Jason
Personally I currently have the LEM 10” Big Bite slicer. No real big complaints and really no issues with it. It’s belt driven and real quiet to run. I’m sure it’s made in China so there are multiple varieties and brands that will be very similar.

If I was to do it again along these lines (non Hobart) I would look real hard at the Meat Your Maker 10” slicer. It looks very similar but the carriage lays at about a 45* angle just like the good Hobarts do, much better design than 90* square.

Personally I currently have the LEM 10” Big Bite slicer. No real big complaints and really no issues with it. It’s belt driven and real quiet to run. I’m sure it’s made in China so there are multiple varieties and brands that will be very similar.

If I was to do it again along these lines (non Hobart) I would look real hard at the Meat Your Maker 10” slicer. It looks very similar but the carriage lays at about a 45* angle just like the good Hobarts do, much better design than 90* square.
I will have to check out the Meat Your Maker. That is not one I had looked at.

Thanks,

- jason

I have an Avantco 10" slicer. Don't use it very often, but does the job.
Only complaint is that when sliding the meat through the slicer and get to the end,
the meat tends to get pushed through the gap between the frame and the slide carriage.
I know there has to be a gap there so blade doesn't hit sliding carriage.
The more frozen the meat is, the less it does it.
I just flip the meat over every few slices to compensate.

Don't know if other slicers do that as well.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I have an Avantco 10" slicer. Don't use it very often, but does the job.
Only complaint is that when sliding the meat through the slicer and get to the end,
the meat tends to get pushed through the gap between the frame and the slide carriage.
I know there has to be a gap there so blade doesn't hit sliding carriage.
The more frozen the meat is, the less it does it.
I just flip the meat over every few slices to compensate.

Don't know if other slicers do that as well.
Mine does that as well, but it is adjustable somewhat with screws underneath the slide, they really all should have that. I also thought of buying a plate of stainless or aluminum and attaching it to the carriage floor but slid over to eliminate the gap. For now after I adjusted mine it’s fine if the meat is good and cold, as it warms up that silly tag starts to form.

Reactions: 02ebz06
Mine does that as well, but it is adjustable somewhat with screws underneath the slide, they really all should have that. I also thought of buying a plate of stainless or aluminum and attaching it to the carriage floor but slid over to eliminate the gap. For now after I adjusted mine it’s fine if the meat is good and cold, as it warms up that silly tag starts to form.
Never really looked into adjusting it, not I'll have to check.

Reactions: millerbuilds
Keep in mind that a Hobart will either require 1 Hulk strength human or 2 Captain America strength humans to move around. They weigh close to a hundred lbs. Some of the bigger ones are probably closer to 150lbs. I've not used one in decades, and they are totally the cream of the crop, but unless its in a fixed place, or you have big strong helpers, they aren't practical. My 10" Cabelas commercial is hefty but I can at least gorilla it around if I have to. I'd estimate it at 50 lbs.

F Florida Chris ... Just curious... What width of meat will fit on the carriage when slide all the way away from the blade ? In other words... How long will a slice of bacon be ?.. That's what I looked for when I was searching.. Ended up with a Horbart off craigs list for $250 ...

millerbuilds millerbuilds ... If I weren't in a hurry I would keep checking sale sites...

Keep in mind that a Hobart will either require 1 Hulk strength human or 2 Captain America strength humans to move around. They weigh close to a hundred lbs. Some of the bigger ones are probably closer to 150lbs. I've not used one in decades, and they are totally the cream of the crop, but unless its in a fixed place, or you have big strong helpers, they aren't practical. My 10" Cabelas commercial is hefty but I can at least gorilla it around if I have to. I'd estimate it at 50 lbs.
But, why manhandle it when you can put it on a cart and wheel it anywhere in the house?
BUT, if you do this, there's no manhandling of anything, just guiding it to wherever
2024-05-01 19.40.17.jpg

Last edited:
But, why manhandle it when you can put it on a cart and wheel it anywhere in the house?

BUT, if you do this, there's no manhandling of anything, just guiding it to whereverView attachment 695906
Anything is possible, mine sits on a rolling island. IMO you still need to clean underneath it once in a while.

F Florida Chris ... Just curious... What width of meat will fit on the carriage when slide all the way away from the blade ? In other words... How long will a slice of bacon be ?.. That's what I looked for when I was searching.. Ended up with a Horbart off craigs list for $250 ...

millerbuilds millerbuilds ... If I weren't in a hurry I would keep checking sale sites...
I plan to keep watching as I really don't need one again until late summer/early fall.

- Jason

I plan to keep watching as I really don't need one again until late summer/early fall.

- Jason

It's just a bit over 9" from the pusher to the apex of the blade. My last belly I had to angle it just a tad to get full cuts.

And as far as the carts go, you guys have the right idea but step up your game a bit!!
😎😎😎😎

1714677812389.png

All of my bacon is sliced 10” long and my carriage is 7” long. 😎

Eric, I took your advice and checked out and ended up ordering the Meat Your Maker. The reviews were great, the customer service and shipping was top notch.
I used it for the first time last night, and it is WAY better than my Cabela's ever was. Very happy, thank you for the recommendation/direction.

- Jason

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky