Kraut

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks, Richie. One more question, as I've never made sauerkraut, but is salt the only seasoning you use? I'd like to try this and from the recipes I've read, it seems pretty much idiot-proof which is what I need..
There is a chart on that link that help with getting the right amount of salt.
Richie

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
When I was a little boy we had a cellar for canned goods and dry goods. The sauerkraut was made in crocks, and loaded into jars later in the process. One year something must have been different because one day I went down there for something and about half of the sauerkraut jars had burst and they were on an upper shelf. What a mess and the odor was pretty strong too.

When I was a little boy we had a cellar for canned goods and dry goods. The sauerkraut was made in crocks, and loaded into jars later in the process. One year something must have been different because one day I went down there for something and about half of the sauerkraut jars had burst and they were on an upper shelf. What a mess and the odor was pretty strong too.
Thanks I will make sure my jars are properly packed, and I'll store them in the garage for a few weeks LOL
Richie

Sounds like that cabbage had a high sugar content and was still fermenting.

Looks like it's gonna be a good batch Richie. I just bought a jar today for grilled reuben sammies. Careful storing it in the garage it's supposed to get cold around here this week.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks like it's gonna be a good batch Richie. I just bought a jar today for grilled reuben sammies. Careful storing it in the garage it's supposed to get cold around here this week.

Point for sure
Chris
Chris it won't be ready for a month. Sounds like some bought some Corned Beef or did you cure it? Thanks for the Point I appreciate it

Richie

I gotta try this again. Last time was mid-summer and after nearly a month it tasted like old cabbage. No sour but no noticeable spoilage. I pitched it.
I read somewhere that the summer cabbage may not have had enough sugar in it to feed the Lacto. I also got almost no juice from the cabbage.
Next time I'll try an 1/8 teaspoon sugar and top the cabbage with a 2%salt solution to make up for any lack of juice.

Chris it won't be ready for a month. Sounds like some bought some Corned Beef or did you cure it? Thanks for the Point I appreciate it

Richie

Nothing fancy, just some deli bought pastrami. My kettles and smoker are still in hibernation.

Chris

Nothing fancy, just some deli bought pastrami. My kettles and smoker are still in hibernation.

Chris
Okay I bet it still going to be good. I picked up a point cut at Shaws their rewards program had it for 97 cents
Richie

I gotta try this again. Last time was mid-summer and after nearly a month it tasted like old cabbage. No sour but no noticeable spoilage. I pitched it.
I read somewhere that the summer cabbage may not have had enough sugar in it to feed the Lacto. I also got almost no juice from the cabbage.
Next time I'll try an 1/8 teaspoon sugar and top the cabbage with a 2%salt solution to make up for any lack of juice.
Did you bruise the cabbage and add a brine?
Richie

I would say start your own post instead of hitching a ride.
Richie

Last edited:
Careful with the sugar. You will make hooch if you add too much. In summer time go to a Natural Grocer or an organic grocery store. Source fresh cabbage. Adding sugar can complicate the fermentation.

When i was younger my Uncle used to make sauerkraut and he had a spot in the yard that he would bury it . My dad , his brother was always there when it was time to dig it up. This was 45 plus years ago
I am not a big fan of cooked cabbage of any kind except fresh raw. But when i do corned beef and cabbage i have to put the cabbage in so the flavor is there, i just don't eat the cabbage.
Hope it is a great batch for you.
David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky