Kayak Fishing

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

confederateknowhow

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
Shelbyville, KY
Does anyone on here do any kayak fishing? What kind of set-up do you have?
I've been throwing around the idea of buying a kayak. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with it...

CKH

I have two trekking kayaks. Fish from them, camp with them.

You can do interesting things in them. But I like my canoe better, except in high winds. The kayak handles the wind a lot better than my canoe.

Look at pensacola fishing forum dot com and scroll down to their kayak forum. Those guys have all the cool gear and have some pretty good details to share.

I was just thinking a Kayak because i do a lot of fishing in creeks and small lakes. I have a friend that lives out on Kentucky river, so we are going to start taking trips down that. It's a hassle portaging large canoes around the old locks and damns.

Funny you should ask? About 3 years ago I won a fishing kayak. Being that both my wife and I love to fish, I sold the kayak, and bought a pelican 16' square stearn canoe. Then I bought a used little 4hp motor. Well if your fishin for more than 3 hours sittin in a canoe ain't the most comfortable thing, especially if your in your older years. So I sold the canoe, and got a little 14' starcraft row boat. (I guess you can see where this is going). Well last year my wife and I discovered Taylors Island M.D. and the chessy bay. Well the little starcraft was to little for safe boating on the chessy, so last fall I had to buy a bigger boat. (I swear this is my last!!!!!) So now I am deeper in debt and came a long way into the money pit from winning a Kayak. Am I sorry? Well not really, as both my wife and I rediscovered tent camping and roughing it. Love them Chessy croakers.
SO the moral of this story is go for what you think you will be happy with, and think of your future.

I have looked at the Cobra Fish and Dive kayak as well as the Ocean kayak both are the sit on top kayak and are great for fishing go to their web sites and check them out

I've been looking at the Malibou "Stealth 14" I like the layout of it. I like the Ocean Kayak layout, and Outdoorplay.com has free shipping on them...I've seen the Cobras online, but never in person. There's just so many to choose from
PDT_Armataz_01_26.gif

I do a lot of kayak fishing me and my girlfriend both have them. mine is set up with 3 rod holders, anchor, live well, all sorts of ropes and a nice dry hatch. Its the ocean kayak Prowler trident 15.

here is my dream kayak!!

Best quote I ever heard about this was "A Boat is a hole in the Water You Throw Money Into". Love mine, however still always thinking about what new I need or maybe even upgrading.

I'm almost afraid to ask, how stable is the Hobie pro Angler for a fly caster? i do know, there's no standing. Maybe if I added some outriggers. Is there enough freeboard to hang, say, an electric trolling motor with it's battery? Nice pictures by the way.

If you look at the picture of it in my yard. You will see two rubber places to put your feet to stand. I do it from time to time. Never in the waves or surf. Its a stable yak but it big and heavy. They make a TM mount to go in the place of the drive. I can do 10-15mi a day no problem.

Shows how stable it is. This guy is on the back.

You can sail them too.

One more nice pick from my office.

Just a followup. Googled the Hobie PA and I gotta say, I'm impressed. All my questions were definitely answered. I can see why it's number one on many lists. It's definitely in my future. With a 5'er, I need to fill the boat need and this definitely does that. It appears to be virtually untippable, great storage. The only problem is that as you know, fly rods are longer (mine is a 10 foot plus) BUT, I'm sure I can figure out something
icon_mrgreen.gif
. The electric motor option answers that question.

As many of you have discovered, SMF can be detrimental to your pocketbook. Oh well, you can't take it with you.

Thanks to the original questioner. Now, how to ask the family finance officer? I need an increase in my allowance. Two of these is still cheaper than a good drift boat.

Alot of the Yakers down at Indian River inlet Delaware use the hobie yaks. They are very popular with the guys there. They are a bit pricey, but I guess you get what you pay for, and I never herd any bad comments about them. I probally would have kept my yak,but the fact that I am an insulin pump diabetic, and can't afford to loose a 7,000.00 pump to the water keeps me in the dry boats. And Rstr Hunter your completly correct about "A Boat is a hole in the Water You Throw Money Into". I have a few vices and fishin with the wife happens to be one of them. At least I keep my vices in the family, which is better than my past marriage.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky