Kassler Ripchen

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
All this talk is getting me hungry for everything mentioned here. Damn good food being talked about.
Please keep it coming. My grandmother on my mother side was polish and on my fathers side. All this is taking me back to those days when they used to make such great dishes. Thanks everyone.

I live in Germany now - while we eat all the local German food - the Germans seem to be more interested in my RECTEC 680 and what I'm doing with it. Running ribs today but last weekend I made smoked chicken and a TRI TIP. Gave my German neighbours a chicken and the week before an entire pork butt after smoking for 14 hours and wrapped in brown butcher paper. Had boxes of chocolate on my doorstep the next day. Going to have German version of sweet and sour pickles and purple cabbage slaw from the market with apples and onions with my ribs tonight.. the mix of culture flavours is awesome!!

Sorry I'm late. I married a German. Worse yet, a Bavarian. Even worse yet, an Unterfranken. Boy am I lucky! Where my wife is from Kassler Rippchen is a big deal, I believe it is a Bavarian thing. Contrary to popular belief Germans do not eat sour kraut every day, just like Americans don't eat hamburgers and hotdogs every day, which is what my wife was worried about when she first came here.

If you want to try something really good try hirsch, which is Elk. It's traditional at weddings and it is amazing.

I tried several times to make Kassler Rippchen in several variations. The last time I made it my wife said it was as good as you get from a German Metzger(Butcher). Germans don't seem to be to eager to give up their recipes for smoked meat. You can find a million Black Forest cake recipes but dang if I can find brines or rubs.

But I found one. This is not my recipe but I used it and it turned out great. The only thing is I wish I could have "darkened" the outside a bit more. I'm thinking I have to use a hotter fire. Also after the roast is done it gets sliced into chops. The bone is a son of a gun to deal with and I had nothing to cut it with. We don't usually eat it with Blaukraut. My wife would lightly fry the chops and serve with steamed potatoes with salt, pepper, and butter, and Sauerkraut(Buy the sweetened kind or add some apple to it). Oh she says the Potatoes are different here too :::Face palm:::

Last edited:
Umm... you might be looking for this. This is the recipe I found with my adjustments written in.

Rippchen Brine.

Ingredients:
1 Bone in Pork Roast ( i used a 6 bone about 3 lb. roast)
Brine , (marinade or cure)
4 cups water
3 tablespoons Kosher Salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon pink curing salt
1 tablespoon juniper berries
1 tablespoon corriander seeds
Small handful of Sage leaves, Marjoram or Thyme or 8 bay leaves crushed( may use sage or thyme also)
12 garlic cloves crushed
1 half sliced white onion

Brine for 10-14 days

For the life of me I cannot get this picture to post right side up. Sorry.
full

Reactions: zwiller
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky