Just Smoken a butt and turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ny smoker

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Been using the MES 30 for a while and got it down pretty good for timing and temp.

Good therms are a must. But the built in is only about 1-3 Degs off, not enough NOT to use it.

Put the butt on last night bout 11:00pm and went to sleep, got up at 3:00am and hit the 140 in 4 no problem. turkey on this AM bout 8:00am set for 260, pulled pork off and foiled at 185Deg. Refilled the AMS and got back at it.

Should be eating some good sandwiches for dinner.

Did figure out a few tricks with the AMS. If you have some trouble with it going out on the MES 30/40 this is my working order.

Fill AMS put into smoker then set your temp and let it go. This will dry the pellets if they are a bit damp.

When ready pull it out and light it. Keep the pellets going for at LEAST 15-20min.

Add food and AMS and open the wood door about 1/2" and let it go to work.

I had a few problems with mine going out and figured this out after about 4 smokes.

Turkeys done IT 170.

4 1/2 hrs, looks crispy. Let you know after dinner today.

Last edited:
The butt came out great and not as SMOKEY as the last 1.

My wife rather have just a hint of smoke.

This was my 1st turkey and next time I will pull it out at 160, I pulled it out at about 170 and it was good just a little to dry for me. Even though when I pulled the prob out juice was coming out the hole.

Love smoken.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky