Just a quick thigh post

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
All good Chris, love the pullback crispy skin on your chicken, with just a light hint of singed arm hair, lol

That fire looks great and I love sitting by a nice fire and just stare,
But Mona is still a little gun shy right now. As she freaks every time a fire truck goes by.
She will settle down once I get a small one going one of these nights and pass her a stick with a weenie on it. ( hotdog lol )

David

Reactions: gmc2003
Rafter H BBQ Rafter H BBQ yeah I made the same handle mistake. Didnt take but a couple of times to learn to use a pit mitt for taking the lids off.
gmc2003 gmc2003 great looking thighs. I also haven't noticed much flavor coming from the wood chunk with the vortex. Maybe its due to the high heat. I dont know.

Jim

First up, the enjoyable part of yard work - bon-fire time.
Where da marshmallows?
The beer pole was an essential piece of equipment this day
Yes sir!! Gotta keep the beer pole in use to stay hydrated.
a beer or so later and the color is getting there.
Huh? Only one beer? You drink too slow. Maybe you need more practice :emoji_laughing:
...and it's chow time!!!
Absolutely beautiful buddy!! That is some fine looking chicken right there. Nice job sir and I'd tear those up if given the chance.

Robert

I did some yesterday and pulled them off in 37 min. Crazy fast.
I've never used a Vortex but have heard from a lot of people how fast stuff cooks with the insane heat those things can generate. Your comments reaffirm that and your chicken looks really good. If I could do chicken around here, that would be an investment I'd make in a second.

Robert

Looks great! I still have a hard time getting the right skin and IT at the same time. I am trying the SV thing with the bone in chx. It’s working great for me. I guess I need a beer pole! I’m sure that’s my problem.

Nice cook Chris… awesome looking chicken! I can understand your unintentional move… I have done that one too! Also, my first go at a vortex cook… I did not realize how hot the handle got… dang near branded a Weber emblem in my palm! Lesson learned…

Again, nice cook and cool to see the beer pole in action! 👊🏼🍻
Thanks Justin, it must be a Vortex initiation thing, or we're members of the same gang. I learned about the lid handle the hard way also.
Looks great! I still have a hard time getting the right skin and IT at the same time. I am trying the SV thing with the bone in chx. It’s working great for me. I guess I need a beer pole! I’m sure that’s my problem.
Appreciate it CHP, Thighs are easier to do then breasts, but they are possible. I brine breast meat in pickle juice and dry the skin off as much as possible. It seems to work for me. Dark meat I usually just let it fly out of the package with a little seasoning, and go lit on the BBQ sauce. I strongly recommend a beer pole it never fails and is always there offering support.

Chris

Reactions: chp
All good Chris, love the pullback crispy skin on your chicken, with just a light hint of singed arm hair, lol

That fire looks great and I love sitting by a nice fire and just stare,
But Mona is still a little gun shy right now. As she freaks every time a fire truck goes by.
She will settle down once I get a small one going one of these nights and pass her a stick with a weenie on it. ( hotdog lol )

David
LOL thanks David. I must admit I was a little hesitant adding that pic to the post with all my northern friends have gone thru recently, but then I thought what the heck. Beside I was hoping to return the favor and send you guys some smoke. :emoji_wink:
I'm not sure if any hair survived the heat to make it to the meat.
Rafter H BBQ Rafter H BBQ yeah I made the same handle mistake. Didnt take but a couple of times to learn to use a pit mitt for taking the lids off.
gmc2003 gmc2003 great looking thighs. I also haven't noticed much flavor coming from the wood chunk with the vortex. Maybe its due to the high heat. I dont know.

Jim

Appreciate it Jim, I think I'm going to stop putting a chunk on the grate and see if it does make a difference, or maybe a stronger wood like hickory. I normally use apple with poultry.

Chris

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Where da marshmallows?

Yes sir!! Gotta keep the beer pole in use to stay hydrated.

Huh? Only one beer? You drink too slow. Maybe you need more practice :emoji_laughing:

Absolutely beautiful buddy!! That is some fine looking chicken right there. Nice job sir and I'd tear those up if given the chance.

Robert

Thanks Robert, I've never been a smore-whore so until my grandson is a little older then I'll pass.

Ha one beer, you need to pay attention my friend. I said "one beer or so" it's that or so that keeps the folks guessing. Needless to say the beer pole got a good work out.

Appreciate the kind words Robert. The chicken hit the spot on a tiring day.

Chris

LOL thanks David. I must admit I was a little hesitant adding that pic to the post with all my northern friends have gone thru recently, but then I thought what the heck. Beside I was hoping to return the favor and send you guys some smoke. :emoji_wink:
Ha Ha , all good up here if you can send the smoke this way that would mean warm air from the south also. Even though it was 30 C here today ( 86 F )
so a very nice day.

Our fire is still burning at the lower end of the province, but under control. Still have a very little smoke pass by once in a while from Quebec fires.

David

Our fire is still burning at the lower end of the province, but under control. Still have a very little smoke pass by once in a while from Quebec fires.
Strangely I don't think we've been affected too bad by the Quebec fires.

Chris

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Strangely I don't think we've been affected too bad by the Quebec fires.

Chris

After our fires were going for awhile our smoke was bad , but the big fires in Quebec was the smoke that traveled down to NY area and west when looking at the radar maps. With the south breezes we are have lately , must be pushing most of it north. But our province was getting a little bits here and there from it. I did not really notice any.

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky