Just a quick thigh post

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
Well, we had a beautiful day yesterday. Sunny and 82*. Unfortunately I also had a bunch of yard work that needed doing. So it was a quick dinner. Not many pics, but enough that you get the idea!!!

First up, the enjoyable part of yard work - bon-fire time.
DSC05051.JPG

The beer pole was an essential piece of equipment this day

DSC05053.JPG

Out comes the 22"kettle/Vortex combo. A couple of spuds first and then some thighs hit the grate.
DSC05056.JPG

a beer or so later and the color is getting there.

DSC05057.JPG

...and it's chow time!!!
DSC05061.JPG

Sorry no plated shots, but we was hungry.

Chris

They look good Chris, got to agree about the bon fire, we save all the yard stuff and pruned branches from the spring and have a huge one in the fall, bon fire and a little gun fire dont get much better that.

Reactions: gmc2003
They look good Chris, got to agree about the bon fire, we save all the yard stuff and pruned branches from the spring and have a huge one in the fall, bon fire and a little gun fire dont get much better that.
Thanks Jim, I usually have a couple during the summer. I did some serious pruning of our spruce and maple trees a week or so ago. So my side yard is filled with branches. The maple I cut up for use in my smoker, but the spruce will either get burned or brought to the dump.

Great looking yard bird Chris!
Appreciate it Steve, yesterday was weed whacking day. Between the heat and weed whacker I just wanted something simple.

Chris

Awesome looking thighs!

Does adding the chunk for smoke on the grill like you did add much smoke flavor?
Thanks Eddie, To be honest I don't really notice much of a smoke flavor, but that's probably because I've smoked cigs for about 45 years and I used apple wood.
Nice cook Chris .
Appreciate it Rich.

Chris

Looks good, Chris. I really need to get a kettle with all the accoutrements ..... vortex, roti, all that.
Thanks Doug, I recommend getting one. It's just so versatile.
Man oh man those look mighty tasty!
Appreciate it Civil. For something so simple and cheap. It sure hits the spot.

Chris

Reactions: civilsmoker
Nice cook Chris… awesome looking chicken! I can understand your unintentional move… I have done that one too! Also, my first go at a vortex cook… I did not realize how hot the handle got… dang near branded a Weber emblem in my palm! Lesson learned…

Again, nice cook and cool to see the beer pole in action! 👊🏼🍻

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky