Joined the GOSM Big Block Club

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
OK, so FedEx delivers the smoker today and I was excited to see that there was no damage to the box. Unfortunately the smoker is still damaged. The top is caved in a litte and that has also bent the top of the door frame so the door won't close all the way. This really wasn't what I was looking for. 

I really hope Bass Proshop isn't going to make me return it and try to make me pay for shipping. That just isn't going to happen. I can't believe how poorly this thing was packed. There was nothing at all between the top and the thin cardboard box it came in.

4b627deb_Damage.jpg

daddd80a_4769068059_b9815e47ec_z.jpg

5b9f0a32_4769068203_9c1cc51e92_z.jpg

3c4846d5_4769068429_290310d6c1_z.jpg

Wow your is much worse than mine. I could have use mine if it wasn't NEW.

I e-mailed Landmann and they said they would take care of it. I sent pictures so they could see the problem. Well as it turned out the 4th came and progress was stopped for time off...

Address: [email protected]

They are shipped from China not one at a time but on pallets so anything can happen  

Hope to hear from them soooon as i wanted to smoke over the 4 with it.

Good smoking..

Last edited:
OK.. BPS is going to have FedEx pick up the damaged one and they've already put in the order for a replacement. I can't ask for more than that, except for it to be packaged properly. 

OK.. BPS is going to have FedEx pick up the damaged one and they've already put in the order for a replacement. I can't ask for more than that, except for it to be packaged properly. 
If possible have someone there to receive the package and open it before you sign.

I received mine from Bass Pro and the packaging seemed adequate.

Quote:

0245dace_3605%20smoker%20003res.jpg

Oh wow...I forgot what it looked like on the inside without a year and half of use!

Holy crap is that clean...Good thing you took a photo of it, because it will never look like that again!

On a side note, I got mine from Bass Pro in 2008 and it arrived in really good shape. So hopefully you will have better luck with getting it fixed.

Either way, your life just got 300% more delicious...

Mine came without damage but we picked it up at the store.

Door was a bit out of square. But with the assistance of Momma holding the case I tweaked it back into proper alignment. Mine was a manufacturing issue not a shipping ot handeling problem.

Worst problem I have with the big block is it holds so much. I am not sure if it is me or the smoker but it seems to smoke much better full than with one large chunk in it.

Jeff

So the second smoker showed up today and it also has damage. Not as bad, but there are 2 dents, a corner that's ground up a little and a paint chip on an edge. Neither of the dents is where it will effect the door, but the paint is chipped on one of them. That means that I'll have to paint 3 small spots to keep it from rusting. I'm going to call Bass Pro Shops and see if they'll do something. I'm willing to keep this one, but I'm not going to spend more money on paint to fix damage that could have been prevented if they double boxed it. I don't see how a single one of these survives shipping. They're just to easy to damage the way they're packed. 

EDIT: The more I looked at it and thought about it, the more I thought I'd see if they could do anything about how it's packaged. They're going to see if they can package it better One of the dents that wasn't chipped had cracks in the finish so it was only a matter of time before the finish flaked off. Hopefully they'll be able to package one better or I'll just return it and figure something else out. 

Last edited:
Quick up date: After sending a second e-mail I received an answer: "IT is in the mail"

Now i do not know what is in the mail or when it will get here as no tracking numbers have been sent to me but it is in the "MAIL" LOL

Maybe i should have gone to Bass Pro to get help but i figured Landmann would want to know about the problem as a Quality problem, but????

Good smoking...

I got my Big Block from BPS, ordered it end of June. Of course, it had some dents when it arrived, but since I wanted it for Independence Day, I called BPS and they gave me 15% discount. I think all of them get damaged 
icon_rolleyes.gif

It was on sale for 179.99, I found an online coupon for $20, I ordered just before they instituted the MA sales tax, and with the damage discount, total cost was $168. 

I've done a few cooks and really like this smoker. Glad to see a link for the cover.

I think this post was premature of me. I had one of the most frustrating times dealing with their customer service that I've had in a long time. In the end I told them to just please pick it up and credit me and I'll spend my money elsewhere. I emailed Landmann and asked if anyone else was going to stock this smoker and they told me that only Bass Pro Shops buys it, so I guess I'll have to find something else. Pretty disappointing. 

I bought mine from Home Depot on-line,  I've used mine for over two years now and don't worry about the bent rack.  Alot of time I don't even put the top on the wood pit because I put so many chips in it raises the water pan until it presses against the upper portion of the rack, that way I can get good smoke for about 3 to 4 hours.  I also purchased a better temp gauge and mounted it below the original thermometer.  Smoke that bad boy.

Mike

Last edited:
When I emailed them and asked them about others carrying the big block, they said that ordering through them would be much more expensive. I think they do that so they don't compete with their retailers. 

Just got my Big Block from Bass Pro Shops to replace my smaller GOSM - on sale for $179!!  If you have a chance get one!! the improvements are fantastic, the thing is huge! No more cutting ribs and briskets in half. The cast iron wood box and water pan are huge so no need to open the smoker during use anymore, the full bottom drip pan is great and the overall build quality is impressive.

I love smoking with charcoal but just don't have the time or Patience anymore and the BB turns out great "Q"

Final Update: Received my FIX's from UPS on Tuesday and on Wednesday i replaced the wire racks on the sides and everything was good.

The wire racks i took out looked like the rocker of a rocking chair. It appeared only to be bent but the length was bent both sides.

Burned it in for about 2.5 hrs and then put some "Rib ends" in and smoke them for about 3 hrs.

Worked great glad i waited for the parts.

Still miss the wood/charcoal and will use them on short cooks/smokes...

BB hold temp's GOOD and was great not having to check on the temp every 30 min.

Anyone come up with away to use charcoal in the BB ?

Good smoking...

Just got my Big Block from Bass Pro Shops to replace my smaller GOSM - on sale for $179!!  If you have a chance get one!! the improvements are fantastic, the thing is huge! No more cutting ribs and briskets in half. The cast iron wood box and water pan are huge so no need to open the smoker during use anymore, the full bottom drip pan is great and the overall build quality is impressive.

I love smoking with charcoal but just don't have the time or Patience anymore and the BB turns out great "Q"
I can't get one shipped without getting beat up and I even called the one that's over an hour from me and they don't have one. I guess it's not meant to be. Honestly this whole experience has been so frustrating that I'm just going to forget about a smoker for a while. I'm not going to pay 20-30 less for a smoker that is almost half the size and there's no way for me to apparently get one of these now. I just can't spend any more time trying to figure this out. 

Maybe a friend or girlfriend or wife or???? could order it using a different CC and address.

Sorry to hear you problem...

Good smoking...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky