Joined the GOSM Big Block Club

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

richc

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
Rochester NY
Haven't gotten my shipping info yet, but hopefully it shows up next week and in good enough shape to assemble. 

Congratulations! 
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Haven't gotten my shipping info yet, but hopefully it shows up next week and in good enough shape to assemble. 

Last edited:
Congrats great choice  
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
    I plan on getting one my first trip past a Bass Pro which should be the first week of Aug

I was thinking about driving out to one, but I'm about an hour away both east and west from 2 different stores. I decided to just order it online and hope that it survives shipping. I just got my tracking number and I know what I'll be doing next Wednesday night :)

cool.gif

Congratulations on your new smoker. If I were you I'd already been gone and hour isn't anything.

Hi i got mine today you might have driven the 2 hrs to get it. Mine has bent side racks on both side of the walls.

Have e-mailed Landmann and and wait an answer. I could use a rubber hammer and try to un-bend them but for 300.00 no way...

Love everything else burner looks strong and the box is solid. Try to lift the wood chip pan it heavy!!! Can't wait to smoke in it once i get the problems ironed out.

Good smoking...

Took a picture:

0245dace_3605%20smoker%20003res.jpg

Last edited:
Are you talking about the wire racks that hold the pans? Unless they were crimped and the structural integrity was gone, I'd just bend them back. 

That is some of it.. i was afraid the welds would brake and why should i have to "FIX" a $300.00 NEW smoker. It should have been correct to start out. Now if i got it off Craig List for 25 i would have no problem bending them back. I just want them to know of the bent side racks...

Congrats and great choice! I love my GOSM!  Y'all that had received damaged smokers from BPS, they treated me great and gave me a discount/credit on mine when I received it with the door damaged. I then called Landmann and they shipped out a new door with no issues at all.  

OK.. here's a question. Does anyone think there would be an issue with keeping this on a wood deck? That's where I have my grill, but I'm not sure if there's other considerations with a smoker that's going to be running much longer than a grill. 

EDIT: I'd like to find one home for this and not have to worry about moving so I thought I'd ask before I start setting it up.

Last edited:
If you're concerned about the wood, get a piece of dur-rock (the thin concrete sheet 1/4 used for laying under tile) and let the smoker rest on it.  The big box stores also sell mats you can put under the smoker.  An occasional drip happens and I think that's a greater concern then the heat.  While we're on the subject, is the deck kinda exposed to the wind?  The BB GOSM needs some wind protection for heat.

Once you get a few hundred hours of smoking, you'll be pleased with your choice.  A hint, quite a few of us replaced the smoke box with a 10 inch cast iron skillet.  I like the skillet because if I need to add more chunks, it has a handle and is less awkward handling (less time involved with less heat loss due to an open door).

Ash disposal?  I use a small 2 gallon or so galvinized bucket with a bale on it.  For safety's sake, I let the ashes remain in the bucket for a minimum of 2 days.  You'd be surprised how many fires are started with supposedly cold ashes.

That fancy door thermometer, remove it and calibrate it (ice water-32*, boiling water -212*) note the error difference so you have a fair idea of the chamber temperature (at the level of the thermometer).

NOW QUIT READING AND GO SMOKE SOMETHING.  How about bacon wrapped burgers?  Me, I'm  smoking up about 10 lbs of Bearcarver's Beef Pepperoni Sticks today. 

Thanks for the tips. I have a Taylor wired digital temp probe that we use with things like turkeys in the oven and I was going to pick up another so I'd have one for food and one for air temp. 

The smoker won't get here until Wednesday so I have a lot of time between now and then to plan what I'm going to smoke. I was going to start out with some bone in chicken thighs. I've got a good rub that I use on poultry, but bone in chicken is such a pain to cook on a grill and not scorch it. It will be nice to not have to manage a grill full of flaming chicken. 

Burgers on a smoker sound interesting though too. What temp and how long do you cook burgers for?

I've got my new one on the deck.  Done about 4 smokes, including seasoning.  No problems except an occasional drip here or there.  Sprays off fine, though my deck has waterproofing on it.  Hope this helps...

Congrats on the smoker you will love it.

While your waiting, heres something to read

GOSM Blog

Hi i got mine today you might have driven the 2 hrs to get it. Mine has bent side racks on both side of the walls.

Have e-mailed Landmann and and wait an answer. I could use a rubber hammer and try to un-bend them but for 300.00 no way...

Love everything else burner looks strong and the box is solid. Try to lift the wood chip pan it heavy!!! Can't wait to smoke in it once i get the problems ironed out.

Good smoking...

Took a picture:

0245dace_3605%20smoker%20003res.jpg
I see what you are talking about, that is bent up pretty bad. The level of the smoker box and water pan are uneven

OK.. here's a question. Does anyone think there would be an issue with keeping this on a wood deck? That's where I have my grill, but I'm not sure if there's other considerations with a smoker that's going to be running much longer than a grill. 

EDIT: I'd like to find one home for this and not have to worry about moving so I thought I'd ask before I start setting it up.
I have been using mine on m y deck for years, only problem I have is grease drippings.

499e7b28_deck.jpg

Note and update: Landmann e-mail me back and they are going to do something. they did not say what yet but I would think they would just send me the side racks. After i sent the picture they said they would fix it...

Good co. and great product as i see it..

Burgers on a smoker sound interesting though too. What temp and how long do you cook burgers for?
I know what you mean about yard birds.  Spatchcock the next one and you'll notice a great difference.

Burgers?  Someone posted his concoction about bacon weave burgers.  I went a step or two further.  I grind my own ground meat, Made them into two 4 oz patties with my el cheapo press, made a depression in the center of the bottom pattie, added some finely chopped onion, a little cheddar, a couple pieces of bell pepper, put the top on, squished the edge together, wrapped some bacon around it.  Into the smoker at about 230*,  Hickory smoke by the way.  Pulled when the meat internal was 165*.  NOTE:  I don't insert the probe until the external meat temp has been at least 140* for 1/2 hour.  Don't want any of those germs being pushed in too soon.  SWMBO likes her bacon crisp, so under the broiler for about 3 minutes.  Kinda like a fattie, in a burger shape.  You can use anything you want in the center. 

You asked:  For how long?  Except for the two temps/time mentioned above, I've found that I go by the temp or the appearance (ribs and pullback), not the time, except where food safety is concerned (the 140 rule within 4 hours).  That seems to be the general consensus so until told otherwise, I'll go with the gang on this.

Last edited:
I understand that you want to cook to temp, but it's good to know the ballpark times you're looking at so you can try to bring other things together at that time as well. I'm not looking to set my watch by a time estimate, but it would be good to know if it's usually 30 minutes or 2 hours for planning. 

I understand that you want to cook to temp, but it's good to know the ballpark times you're looking at so you can try to bring other things together at that time as well. I'm not looking to set my watch by a time estimate, but it would be good to know if it's usually 30 minutes or 2 hours for planning. 
Yeah, I see where you're coming from.  The burgers, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, worst case.  Chicken, spatchcocked (more surface area exposed to the tender influence of smoke) about 2-3 hours.

Do you know about the double foiling of the meat when near done,  wrapping cloth towels, placing in a cooler (tightly sealed of course), good for about 3-4 hours (ribs and chicken, etc).  Keep in mind that meat will still continue to cook while wrapped in foil.  There are several mentions of this technique in the briskets, ribs type, etc, etc threads.  This trick works great for when you're taking the meat to another location for presentation.  I always try to plan for the worst  completion time because I know I can fall back on the cooler to hold the meat if it's early.

One thing I've learned is that there are few hard and fast rules (except in food handling safety) in this arena.  Most are just guidelines.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from.  The burgers, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, worst case.  Chicken, spatchcocked (more surface area exposed to the tender influence of smoke) about 2-3 hours.

Do you know about the double foiling of the meat when near done,  wrapping cloth towels, placing in a cooler (tightly sealed of course), good for about 3-4 hours (ribs and chicken, etc).  Keep in mind that meat will still continue to cook while wrapped in foil.  There are several mentions of this technique in the briskets, ribs type, etc, etc threads.  This trick works great for when you're taking the meat to another location for presentation.  I always try to plan for the worst  completion time because I know I can fall back on the cooler to hold the meat if it's early.

One thing I've learned is that there are few hard and fast rules (except in food handling safety) in this arena.  Most are just guidelines.
Thanks.. that's great info. One of the other questions I had was how to keep meat for extended periods of time after it had cooked and you gave me some options there too. 

Until you decide on spending  money on  a smoker cover, I keep my GOSM and Smoke Vault covered with those large Contractors trash bags.  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky