Jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

schooner911

Original poster
Mar 22, 2013
Going to try doing jerky again tomorrow, the first time temperature was a problem.  I could not get it down low enough.  I was just wondering a few things, can I use the water dish or will that affect the drying of the jerky?  And second if 200 is way too hot for Jerky?  I am going to hang it this time does anybody think this is better or do they prefer the rack method?  Thanks

Schooner
You don't want a water pan. Remember you are trying to dry the meat. What are you using for cure / seasoning? And you may try to get that temp down a bit. As for hanging vs drying..... I been doing it on racks for years. Just be sure you cut the meat to no more than a quarter inch thick to three eighths.

Last edited:
I am actually doing a marinade soy sauce, brown sugar, rufas teage dry rub, worchestershire sauce, montreal steak spice, kosher salt and pepper.  Last time I did it the flavor was there just dried it way too much. The problem with not using the water dish is my temp will be hard to regulate, I am doing a dry run right now to see if I can keep the temp down without water. Any advice on how long?

I tend to smoke at about 180 for two and a half to three hours, but I have been doing dry seasoning / cure for a few years now and after the smoker I put the meat in a dryer to get to the right texture. I used to do jerky with wet marinade but haven't done that way for a while so someone else will chime in with some help for you in short order. Best if luck.

No water, you want dry, in fact the lower the ambient humidity the better. Jerky is good low and slow. I try to keep things at 110-130 until it's just about done finish off at 165. You want to dry the jerky not cook it. P.S. Use cure!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky